|Posted by hj on September 27, 1998 at 00:17:23:|
|In response to Re: Why are odor questions never answered?|
One of the reasons is that there is no one answer for all the questions. In fact every odor problem could have a unique solution which would only be apparent to someone at the site.
Years ago a customer had a "sewer gas" odor problem. After spending several hours trying every possible way to induce the odor such as smoke tests, peppermint injection, etc. the odor refused to appear. I left the site to get addition supplies, and when I returned, the customer took me into the bathroom and said the odor had appeared while I was gone. One sniff, and I told him that it was not a sewer gas smell, but that the plastic socket on the light fixture had been charred and when the light was left on for a long time, such as while I was gone, the charred plastic heated up and released the odor. A new socket cured his problem.
As far as the odors people write about, they can be caused by wind currents, mildew, (even a dead mouse in the electric dryer cabinet), material in the sink overflow, or magnesium sulfide being created in the water heater. The possibilities are almost endless, and trying to analyze them from a distance is impossible..
|Replies to this post|
|There are none.|