Re: Connect plastic drain pipe to old cast iron
Posted by DeDe on July 06, 19100 at 10:37:47:
In response to Re: Connect plastic drain pipe to old cast iron

Terry,
This is my luck day to have found your website....
I am tearing out a mosaic tile bathroom floor on a concrete wetbed(very time consuming,but coming along fine).What is the easiest way to connect PVC
to the cast iron sewer line ? Also, can lead drains be repaired,I have a slight leak under bathtub.
Thanks for your time.

: I,m disconnecting old cast iron pipes to enlarge a small bathroom built over a concrete slab (about 6 inches
: : between the slab and floor joists). What is the best way to unsolder the lead joints in the iron pipe?
: : A small propane torch doesn't heat up the mass nearly enough to melt the lead and loosen the joint.
: : Do I need to get a oxy/acetylene cutting torch to be able to apply enough heat? Also is there any way
: : to wick the lead out of the joint once it is melted? Then what is the best way to connect the plastic
: : piping to the remaining waste line that runs underground to the street? Any tips are greatly appreciated.

: Rebecca,
: You may want to try cutting the lead with a sawzall. The blade can reach in and cut some of the lead out, and then screwdrivers can pry the rest out. Darn, there I am giving away secrets again. Please don't tell anyone else, OK?
: Terry

Replies to this post
There are none.