Re: Leak from Hot Water Copper Pipe
Posted by Mad Plumber on June 28, 19100 at 03:56:54:
In response to Re: Leak from Hot Water Copper Pipe
: Last evening, I noticed certain parts of my wood parquet floor had heaved in a hallway and in my dining room adjacent to a kitchen wall. Upon closer inspection, I found hot water seeping out of a section of my kitchen wall. Shutting off the main hot water supply stopped the water flow. After attending to soaking out some of the water, I proceeded to open up the lower 3 ft of waterlogged gysum board by hand. Thereafter, I found 2 copper risers, both with several connection joints at about 2 ft. off the floor. Both of these pipes come out of the concrete slab in a vinyl soft sheath. The sheath containing the hot water pipe was full of water. I expected to see water flying out of the elbow and/or connection joints after I turned the hot water back on. Surprisingly, nothing happened other than a couple of bubbles coming from within the sheath. The hot water has been back on for twelve hours since and no water has seeped out of the pipe or sheath at all. I am at a loss as to what may have caused the initial leak as I have done nothing at this location other than wiggling the joints a little to see if anything was loose. Can you please give me some ideas as to what may have caused the leak? Sorry about the length of this question. Thanks.

phil,
I don't mind the slow methodical way you described the problem. I don't know why, but I liked it. Could you tell me more?

Two things could have happened. Well, maybe three things.
1) You wiggled it and the leak stopped.
2) You wiggled it and the leak got so damn big, (shush, any young kids around?) it now leaks under the slab and not above it.
3)There is some other reason the water was there.
4)Don't you just hate this? I'm thinking, ................Look up, could the water be coming from above?

Replies to this post