Re: Rerouting (black?) heating pipes
Posted by hj on June 27, 19100 at 09:41:06:
In response to Re: Rerouting (black?) heating pipes
Black pipe is used for heating because it is a closed system and thus corrosion is a minor problem. Black pipe systems have lasted for decades as long as there are no leaks that require continual additions of water. And in reply to the person who said the pipes can reach 465 degrees, at the point a steam system would be under pressures that would far exceed anything except a specialized commercial or marine system. And if that system were to rupture in a residential neighborhood, it would be equivalent to the fireworks warehouse that recently blew up in a residential area. But as to your question, a pumped system's pipes can be raised, but you must install air vents to remove any entrapped air or the system will cease to function. Heating systems are almost always assembled with cast-iron fittings and a few blows with a hammer on one side while holding a hammer or wrench on the other will break them off quite easily.
: I'm planning to reroute heating pipes in my basement. (I'm not a plumber). They are rather low and to make the area more useful I want to cut a section of the pipes, raise the whole thing and rejoin them with compression fittings, elbows, or whatever.

: The system (old gravity, now pumped) has mainly 2 inch pipes, plus a couple of other sizes but I'll be darned if they don't look like black pipes, not galvanized.

: How could black pipes have lasted so long with hot water running through them? House was built in 1932. I've been here for 21 years.

: Can I use black pipes? Can I join them to galvanized without corrosion problems? Can I use narrower pipes since it is now pumped?

: Thanks for any answers.

Replies to this post
There are none.