Re: Gerber toilet, special gasket, still leaks.
Posted by Terry Love on June 03, 19100 at 14:51:38:
In response to Re: Gerber toilet, special gasket, still leaks.
: Recently, I asked here if Gerber toilets used a special tank-to-bowl gasket, since the new one I'd installed leaked like a fire hose. The answer was: Yes. I located the gaskets locally and installed one. The result was a small leak (much smaller than with the "normal" gasket, but a leak nonetheless). I tried the other new gasket, just to be safe (I bought 2 gaskets while I was at the plumbing store), with the same result.

: The guy at the store suggested I wasn't cranking the tank down tight enough, but I'm afraid to tighten the bolts any tighter for fear of cracking the bowl.

: Several questions arise:
: 1) I had recently replaced the flush/valve assembly and was wondering if Gerber had a special one of those.

: 2) I replaced the bolts at the same time. These bolts have a rubber washer directly contacting the tank on both the inside and outside surfaces. The inside gasket is snugged up by the bolt head. The outside gasket by a washer and nut. (That assembly is installed with the tank totally off the bowl). The tank is then held to the bowl by a washer & wingnut, which is what I tightened to the point of being afraid. Does that sound right or wrong to anyone?

: 3) There were 2 or 3 little black rubber "cushions" between the tank and the bowl. They fell off when I removed the tank the first time, so I'm not sure where they should be. Could misplacing those be causing my leak?

: I really hate to call in a plumber for such a minor issue, but I'm really not sure what to do next.

: Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. If I need to provide any clarifying feedback, I'll be glad to.

: Thanks!!!
: -dave

If the water is leaking between tank and bowl,
Check for any cracking of the tank.
Does the gasket fill between tank and bowl.
Do the bolts have rubber washers under the flat heads?
You can in a pinch, if there are no cracks, use silicone to better the seal.

Replies to this post