stack

1. Capt. Skinny

Splice new vent into cast iron stack, or replace last few feet of stack with PVC through roof?

I'm adding a branch vent that will run horizontally, in the attic, to the cast iron stack in the photo. My initial plan was to make two cuts in the cast iron and splice in a PVC tee with Fernco couplings. But I'm so close to the roof that I wonder whether I would be better off just removing...
  2. Brendan Poirier

Main stack vent necessary ? Garage plumbing

Hello Just built my garage this year and am currently installing my utility sink. My original plan was to put a toilet in the garage but that was ditched. For now I will only have a sink so I am wondering if running the main stack up through the roof is necessary since the sink has its own AAV...
  3. Marshall62

Ventilation stack leak

We have heavily used shower in an upstairs bathroom (with exhaust fan) that drains into a pipe that runs up/down an outside wall into the attic where it then turns and runs horizontally in toward the center of the building where it joins a larger diameter stack pipe. Its very cold in our attic...
  4. Peterac78

Plumbing/water heater- spots recently on ceiling downstairs, 2 story house. Condensation??? New wate

Plumbing/water heater- spots recently on ceiling downstairs, 2 story house. Condensation??? New water heater. Live in home now for 20 years but could happen anywhere. Got a new water heater in September on 2nd floor in a tiny closet. In that closet is a metal aluminum vent and also a white...
  5. AllanA

Moving the stack

Hello all, We just purchased an older house and are planning to do some pretty extensive reno. Moving plumbing fixtures, running new PEX lines and moving a few walls (non-bearing). In trying to create a direct hallway between the master bedroom and the 2nd bedroom (soon to be ensuite), I found...
  6. RCbuilds

Concerns over grounding of copper DWV systems?

I'm removing and replacing several sections of copper DWV pipe in my home to rearrange a bathroom layout. Part of this work involves removing a 3' section of the existing 3" copper stack and replacing it with PVC, with the remaining CU stack still continuing through the roof. The rest of the...
  7. John Bush

Adding Washing Machine Standpipe in Basement

Right now, my washing machine in the basement drains into one of those very old, super-heavy concrete utility sinks. The sink is starting to crack and leaking more often, it often clogs with the lint from the washer, and we're tired of switching out the mesh sock covers. I want to put in a...
  8. PMGunz

Finishing Basement, Easy Fix for Leaky copper to cast iron joint?

My basement is being finished in a couple weeks and the drain lines will be hidden behind a wall. There is what appears to be a leaky joint on a drain line where a copper pipe goes into a cast iron fitting. The flash on my phone made it look like the cooper pipe is cracked, but it's just a...
  9. Jimjr

Venting a Toilet that has been Moved

Hello, Is it OK code wise, and functioning wise, to vent a drainpipe off of another drainpipe that is well vented? I have a 3″ toilet pipe vented with a 3-inch through the roof pipe and another 3-inch toilet drainpipe, nearby as they both get closer to the main stack (within about 8 inches)...
  10. ZPB

Push Vent Stack Back

Hi, this is what I just found behind a wall in my master bath. I am totally gutting this room, and am wondering if I can bump my main vent stack back about a foot to take advantage of all this wasted space in the wall behind it; I will be removing the small wall on the right of this picture for...
  11. Giggidy

Vent placement for toilet stack

I have 2 bathrooms right on top of each other. I just noticed as I installed 2 new toilets that there wasn't a vent. I placed an aav about 5 ft from the 2nd toilet. I am still getting negative pressure in my toilets and am needing advice on vent placement. My washing machine goes to a separate...
  12. ihasamoose

Vent for sink/washer drain

Hi all, I'm in Canada, Alberta. I'm looking to get a proper vent on my washer and at the same time get a vent for my future sink. I was wondering if this was correct, or if the vent is too far from the P drain to be effective (and to code) as it is about 5' away. Thanks for any help, I...
  13. Jayne89

Adding downstairs toilet onto same stack

Hi guys, Just after some advice on adding a secondary toilet to the underneath of our highest house. I'm sure our regs are probably a bit different being that I'm in Australia but just want to see if im on the right track with my thinking. Looking to add a P trap toilet to the lower level of our...
  14. sean nelson

Wonky toilet issue. 3rd and 2nd floor clogging and slow flushing

Ok here goes. I have a 3 story home with a bathroom on each floor and all are above each other which I assume that means they are on a shared drain line and vent stack. I'm having a devil of a time figuring out what the real issue is that's troubling the toilets. I keep thinking I have a venting...
  15. sberg74

Toilet Drain Pipe Around Joists

I am looking to move a toilet on a bungalow main floor. Currently the drain sits 1' from the stack and drops straight into a double 45 wye that's about 5 1/2 feet off the basement floor. New toilet location is about 4 1/2 feet away, as the crow flies, but does not have a clear path through the...
  16. Mjchevalier

Sewer gas smell in bathroom is a mystery?

I own a 2 story townhome on a slab with no basement. Our downstairs bathroom has had a sewer smell develop in it and I also noticed the toilet was rocking side to side. I pulled it off to find a broken pvc closet flange. Replaced the flange and set it back on with a new thick wax ring with no...
  17. NeedHelpAlways

Is This Correct Venting? I Live in St.Louis County Missouri

So I received a plumbing violation when I was trying to get an occupancy permit. I contracted a plumber to update the plumbing and he removed my cast iron stack and the abs glued to pvc and this is the final project for $2800 but is this correct? My concern is I smell sewer after I flush the...
  18. Jon Romalo (Calgary DIY!)

Design for rebuilt stack - does it meet code?

Hi folks. I am renovating a bungalow and I have removed the old 3” cast iron stack various piping on the main floor. I am going to rebuild the stack using 3” ABS. There is also a 2” drain into the basement floor that I will be using for a couple of fixtures. I’ve taken a shot at designing the...
  19. personage

How to connect back outlet toilet to cast iron soil stack?

I have a back outlet, floor mount toilet that leaked behind the wall. When I removed drywall, I saw that the connection between cast iron soil stack and the plastic connector is leaking. Please see photos. What is the proper way to connect the cast iron and plastic? Should I remove and replace...
  20. danabkk

Jog in Main Drain

I currently have the main drain coming from the second floor and running straight down through the main floor into basement. I am wondering if it is possible to jog the stack/drain over about 7', then down <8', then back over the 7' to where it enters the basement. Trying to reconfigure...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks