electrical

1. B

Can I just disconnect and cover a live junction box?

I currently have 3 pendant lights over my kitchen island. They are very small and close to each other. I would like to remove the middle light fixture permanently and drywall patch the whole. I plan to replace the 1st and 3rd fixtures with matching larger light fixtures. I have not removed...
  2. W

Changed lower element, burnt up upper temp controller??

TYIA. So about 3 weeks ago I changed our lower heating element. It has been working amazing, actually it was too hot, so I had to turn it down 3-4 days ago. This morning at 4am I had my wife waking me up asking if it smells like fire, it did. This is what I found... Upper temp controller. I...
  3. M

Amateur needs help with bathroom fan & light switch wiring

Hello all, I'm hoping I could get some (much needed) help with my bathroom fan and light-switch wiring. First off, I'm an amateur, but I've watching/reading as much as I can to understand electricity, but I think I need some expert advice, to untangle this mess. If this is the wrong place, my...
  4. CommanderDave

Wiring Timer to GFCI Outlet

I have a 20A GFCI outlet that I want to wire a timer to that will control a ceiling exhaust fan. However the timer I have requires connection to a 3 wire (B,W,R-G) box, but the GFCI outlet is only powered by 2 wire (B,W-G); it also services three other outlets. So my question is can I wire the...
  5. Terry

Copper pipe shocked me!!

I was looking at a 3" ABS drain for a toilet in the basement, standing on the plastic toilet seat, accidently touched the 1" copper pipe and WOW!! I got shocked. The copper pipe right here. And then I went outside to check the grounding on the panel, just one rod in the ground, and nudging...
  6. Jeremy Porter

My meter runs ridiculously fast when my water heater breaker is on

My meter has been running faster than I have ever seen when I have the water heater breaker on, but slows way down when I shut it off? I took a video so you guys could see, https://youtube.com/shorts/7QTAyrFbJso?feature=share
  7. Rizwan A Sherazi

Replacing Submersible Pump Control Box Pipe

Hi I bought the house 6 months ago and today noticed a leak in one pipe coming through the control box. I am totally unfamiliar with the well pump system/function. Attaching the pictures to explain the setup. It seems from the Control Box there is a pipe going to the wall , that i believe is...
  8. ConstableDuffy

Electrical connections inside well?!

I just bought a house that was built in 1977. When I opened the well, I found the electrical connections in the following photograph at the top of the well. This concerns me as there is condensation at the top of the well that seems to me to be perilously close to causing electrical shorts. Is...
  9. JoeThomas

Best Light for Reading, Computer Office: Flat Panel or Dome/Global Light

We are thinking of installing new ceiling lights, in Standard 10 feet ceiling. We originally have 4 inch diameter light in the hallway. My son would keep the door open to prevent getting hot, however this hallway light was hitting the side, peripheral of his eye, very small and lot of light...
  10. Ctgcwiqc

How to remove cap from well

I'm looking at the cap to my well trying to figure out how to remove the cap. I need to determine pump depth, and static water level. It looks like a bolt has been modified to allow water line to extend from the top of the cap. 1. is there a way to remove the modified bolt at the pvc pipe...
  11. rjschwar

4 Wire Range and Oven to 3 Wire SE Cable

I found this thread and have a similar setup but had a couple clarification questions: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/question-on-3-wire-kitchen-range-4-wire.67912/ We replaced a couple cabinets so I had to remove and reinstall our oven/microwave combo and the cooktop. I have...
  12. fallenage31

Flotec 3 wire Model# FP3212-02 - RUN MANUALLY WITH SWITCH

Flotec 3-Wire 4in. Submersible Deep Well Pump — 1/2 HP, 1 1/4in., Model# FP3212-02 How would I set up to run the pump manually with a switch? 3 wires from the pump. 2 wires that come up to the surface
  13. W Kunz

Grundfos MQ45 Won't Start

I have a grundfos MQ45 that I rebuilt the impellers in and now it will not start. I installed a new capacitor and still nothing. The lights come and it says "pump running" but nothing is happening. It sounds like it tries to start initially and then nothing happens. I can easily rotate the pump...
  14. Katherine Straub

Just whispered "I hate you" to my well pump, how's your morning

Hey everyone! I'm a long-time lurker (typically when sitting on my kitchen counter by the sink with my laptop and wet socks) and some of your posts have been the difference between keeping and selling my house. I bought what I thought was just a fixer-upper about 18 months ago...it's should've...
  15. Kevin Richard

Should I buy Used Electricals or not?

Hello Guys, I was planning to buy some plc's and electrical supplies for my kids school project. As I am low in budget and don't even know if my kid can do it in one shot, I want to ask if I can buy used Electrical Supplies instead of new. I am confused now what to go for. Help would be much...
  16. beachguysb

Flickering: All 4 LED Recessed bulbs on dimmer switch

All 4 LED Recessed lights on dimmer switch just started flickering. (4.5w dimmable GU10 LED bulbs) - It only happens sometimes - 4 other LED's on a DIFFERENT dimmer switch (but same circuit) also flicker sometimes, whether the other dimmer switch is on or not. - It doesn't matter how bright I...
  17. PhillipNichols

Receptacle installation

Hey Guys, I am installing receptacle in an unfinished basement. I have located the live wire from the breaker box going to one receptacle. I have install a junction box in the ceiling if and want attempting to add receptacle to the adjacent wall across the room. Is there a code on how long the...
  18. Trevor Sams

Hot Tub GFI

I have a hot tub connected to a 50 amp 220v trip that has a neutral pigtail connected to the neutral bus. The natural for the tub is connected to the bus. The 220v connects directly to the control panel PCB which then has a series of relays to switch the pumps, water heater etc. The GFI started...
  19. diygiy

Tracking power feed short to switch

120v household line. Feed line suddenly lost power. Tenant reports no heavy usage at the time - says she just finished a shower so possible condensation/steam issue caused the short. one gfci in bathroom works fine, no load on gfci just a direct 12-3 yellow feed line into gfci no load out...
  20. Mspearlywhites

BIG remodel job. Need to get a budget established

Hi fellow diyers, I'm new here, but I came across a good opportunity to start a business, except that the building has been gutted by vandals looking for copper piping. The space is about 2400 square feet. It needs a new HVAC system because the enrien system was ripped out by the Vandals...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks