corrosion

1. M

3 SuperStor Tanks Failed in five years. Can’t get an understanding of what is happening

Hello all- I’m new here and would really appreciate any advice or thoughts on what may possibly be going on with our water/filtration/ water heater situation. We have installed three SuperStore 60 gallon tanks since 2018, and all have failed/leaked in that time. The most recent one was...
  2. B

Basement grease trap to main drain blockage corrosion

My home is from the early 1900's and I have a large main drain that is cast iron. The drains that run to that main one are the kitchen sink, the basement shower, upstairs shower, laundry and upstairs bathroom. The picture is of the grease trap drain that the kitchen sink runs to. Now I moved...
  3. JaceHunter

Water Tank Replaced Now Black Specks In Water

Hey all! I've read through the other posts on this forum on black specks in water but am running into a bit of a cluster with my issue. I had some really bad corrosion on my hot water tank nipples and had the whole tank replaced in October. Catch is the plumber tried pulling the nipples after...
  4. Johnny_Fear

Corrosion isolated to one bathroom/3-handle shower/tub question

First of all, thanks to Terry for such a great forum. I've learned things here that have helped fixed some previous issues though I'm not a poster. I'm going to do my best to keep this short but be forewarned it won't be. We renovated a bathroom almost 13 years ago. Contractor was almost...
  5. Kitui

Sewage Drain corrosion

I am asking for a good friend. She had a plumber coming for a project and asked him to have a look at the corroded sewage pipe in the pic. Plumber said is fine. Does she need a second opinion? What do you think?
  6. Lukasny

Well water issues

I'm trying to figure out what is going on with my well water and softener. I keep getting those rust spots on my utensils and I cant figure out what is causing it. I have tried few water softener companies and they all have not answers. Also last year I redid my water manifolds and year later...
  7. Jeremy Thacker

Avoiding Galvanic Corrosion in Shower

Wrapping up a home addition and a last minute addition of a tub caused a change in location of our fixed glass shower panel. The glass slips into a painted stainless steel u channel that is meant to be attached to a wall one one side and the floor with the top and other side not connected. With...
  8. sklett

304 stainless fittings mixed with galvanized fittings - OK, or not smart?

Hello, first post and I decided to ask my question here because I'm going in circles and driving myself absolutely crazy. My situation: Running a 700' long, 1-1/4" 200 PSI (SIDR9) polyflex (ADS) line from shop to my house. Along the way I want to install a non-freeze yard hydrant. I planned to...
  9. Zack Posz

Insanely Corroded Toilet Flange

Hello, This is my first time replacing a toilet. We just moved in to this house as well. When I removed the toilet the flange and the bolts were extremely corroded. The picture below was after I was waling on it with a hammer to knock all the corrosion free. There was easily a few mm build up...
  10. Ps42

Starting from scratch with an NTL Test Report

Howdy! First Post - after looking around here, I decided to start here, rather than with water treatment system sellers. Thanks for all the value y'all have provided, and thanks in advance for your kind assistance. Here's a bit of context... We have been living here for about 18 years, and our...
  11. Rebekah Rich

Rust around element/thermostat

Hello, I am in need of some advice. My 50 gallon electric water heater was recently leaking at the connection from the cold water supply. That's been fixed, and still no hot water- so I opened up the bottom panel and discovered the insulation was wet. Turned out the leak had caused a lot of...
  12. Robert98

Dark Rust on Water Intake Connection to Expansion Tank

Hey All, I was changing my expansion tank today and when I took it off it and the intake pipe were completely clogged with rust that looked black. The metal lip inside after the threading was completely rusted out at the bottom and the expansion tank connection was uneven from rust as well. My...
  13. NC Guy

Expected Lifetime of Older Casing Pipes in Steel [or Iron] - ?????

We live in an old farmhouse in Central North Carolina, with a water well that has a 6-inch casing pipe, which was probably laid as early as 1940, or possibly as late as 1950, so it's at least 70 to 80 years old [and I'm guessing more like 80]. I'm assuming the casing pipe is steel, rather than...
  14. gpstew

Lead Stub Out - fixable?

Hello all! I'm brand new to the forum and a DIYer (at best). The best/closest info I could find on the web regarding a situation like mine was from y'all's forum - thanks. Info - location St. Louis House build date 1936 - plumbing update - unknown I went to put in a new vanity/sink and when...
  15. Bigben2010

New water heater tank exterior corrosion

I'm a consumer looking for opinions. I just had a new Rheem electric water heater installed. There is corrosion on the tank, as you can see in the photo. In my opinion, it's a result of a poor coating job on the tank, and exposure to water or maybe just Florida humidity. You can see there are...
  16. TSwampy

Burst Yard Hydrant

Is this repairable? What would have caused this kind of break? It's only about a foot below grade, so any water should have drained out the bottom before freezing. How would you DIY this one? I'd love to forgo digging another 7' through clay and roots to replace this. Thanks! TSwampy
  17. annarborcar

Advice on pressure tank installation,

I hired a plumber to install a pressure tank in our house. He did the piping (I am assuming to save on the work) in such a way that an elbow is touching the floor (which is typically wet). Please see the picture. I am concerned about corrosion and brought the issue to his attention. He mentioned...
  18. Kentuckienne

Ten years old - what tests should I run on well/softener?

First, a big thanks to the Forum for years of good advice. Sorry for long post. About ten years ago, we drilled a deep well for our new house (80+ grains hardness, some coliform bacteria but no e-coli). We put in a water softener (Clack) that puts regen water into the septic system, with a RO...
  19. Regis Tration

Grounding A Well

Recently I had no choice but to cut off the corroded top of my well casing. Here is what it looked like: I replaced the casing with PVC and a Fernco coupling. I know that many people disapprove of the Fernco coupling, but the well is in an extremely remote ocean island location with no...
  20. Deavon Walden

Fixing Pipes in Basement Under Kitchen Sink

New to plumbing work, but incredibly interested in anything DIY. Only problem right now is money, but I know it's cheaper to fix things myself, rather than pay a professional to do something I could learn to do myself...that being said, here is my problem: We had our pipes snaked a few weeks...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks