hydronic

1. Joe B

How to properly use / configure Navien hydronic system

Hi, Should a Navien hydronic heating system turn on and off four to five times an hour? I am living in a place with a Navien CH-240 that drives domestic hot water and an in-floor, six-zone hydronic heating system. The hydronic system uses PEX tubes under a concrete floor. I have only ever had...
  2. HighlandsBoy

[Hydronic Open Loop] No Hot Water Unless Circ Pump On

Hi all! Short-time reader, first-time poster. I just moved into (renting) a Seattle-area townhouse and have realized my heating system is, unfortunately, a hydronic open loop (in-wall forced air radiant) system using a standard hot water tank that is shared with the domestic water system. The...
  3. Technophile

Hydronic heating. When should the pumps run?

Hello! We have a hydronic heating system that appears (to my admittedly inexperienced eyes) to have some design and installation errors (no filter, expansion tanks undersized and upside down, air eliminator in the heating return instead of between the boiler and circ pump, ...). I would...
  4. JustAnotherHomeOwner

Floor Mounted Hydronic Expansion Tank 4.5 or 6Gal - Do They Exist?

Hi all... TLDR: Any suggestions for brands who make a 4.5 or 6 gal hydronic expansion tank designed to sit on the floor? i.e. Air-valve not on the bottom, with appropriate stand/feet/legs I have a *very* small mechanical room with a lot going on. I have a 125,000 BTU/h combi-boiler " feeding...
  5. SleepingBear

Radiant Heat System Design

I have a question related to the radiant floor system I am installing. Context: The previous owner of our homes (two located on one property 60 feet from one another other) had ½ PEX oxygenated lines run throughout the entirety each structure. Both homes are Insulated concrete form...
  6. Dashersonic

Burnham Hydronic acting strange after Bleeding

I hope this isn't a repeat as I couldn't find an answer in the older threads. I'm doing some home renovations and removed a few sections of baseboard heater. I reconnected the sections temporarily with orange PEX while I complete reno and until I reinstall baseboards to have the continuous loop...
  7. artistsnature

Why do I get hot water but no heat from oil boiler?

I have a Weil-McLain oil boiler, hot water baseboard, and the supply line froze (outside tank, overhead line). This happened last year too, so I had added heating oil additive to this year's tank, wrapped the pipe in heating wire and wrapped that in insulating tape. It still froze this year...
  8. Derek Wetzel

Noise related to expansion of copper in Radiant / Hydronic / Baseboard heating

Hi, I'm curious if there are any experiences/insight beyond standard troubleshooting for this issue. The most practical resolutions i've seen so far are to straighten the fins (which i've done) and to ensure the return pipe is not resting on any metal hooks which could create noise... I do not...
  9. Brady1

Hydronic System Troubles

I have been dealing with a new hydronic heating system lately, and the compression tank gets almost full of water after just a couple weeks. The system itself is said to have a leak, as it has to have water regularly added, every week or so, to keep the boiler pressure at 12 psi or more. Would...
  10. Greenleaf

Hydronic Radiant In-floor Heating: Pump & air valve replacement

In our recently purchased approx 20 yr old house, we have an in-floor radiant heating system, that seems to work quite poorly, as in very slow to heat (like, half a day to get rooms up to temp). I suspect the previous owners either did not use it, or only used it supplementally. (house also has...
  11. Chris Arneson

Sticky Heating Manifold Valves?

i have a hydronic radiant in-floor heating system. It’s actually partially heated by solar but that’s probably not relevant here. Several zones are not heating although the electric actuators show ON. I believe I must have some sticky valves but can’t find any maintenance info on them. The...
  12. gadolphus32

Connecting PEX to Hydronic Steel System

I am finishing the attic in my 110-year-old house and want to add radiators by tying into the existing system. It's a hot-water system with old cast-iron radiators fed by 1-inch galvanized pipe. The boiler is in the basement and has a circulator. It's set to 180 degrees with a return temperature...
  13. JayNH

Power Flushing / Acid Cleaning Closed Loop Hydronic Heating

I'm installing a new boiler next week. I'm replacing a 30 year old Burnham combi boiler with a new Pensotti and HTP indirect. I'm replacing everything except the 3 radiant zone copper and baseboard heaters. The old system had a significant leak that was constantly being replenished with the...
  14. \\\pete\\\

Hydronic heating system design question...

Hello All, Thank you in advance for any help. I am a home owner doing a full gut job on my house and am about to purchase all the parts for my hydronic system, which I have designed. I was hoping that I could get a pair of eye to look at my design, just as a double check. I have a 2 bed, 2.5...
  15. George Day

Monoflow system upgrade to combi

First off let me thank you for opening and reading this post. Any advice will be appreciated. I currently have a 1948 3500sqft (3700sqft with walk in attic storage-currently unheated) house heated by 19 wall convectors and a Burnham series II boiler. Last winter 2-3 of the radiators...
  16. rmcderm313

Extending a baseboard radiator - Need the return to stay above the floor

Hi All, Several years ago we extended our breezeway/foyer, almost doubling in size. Most of the added size extends past the foundation and is over an area that is exposed to the elements aside from some lattice. This area is supported up to building code etc, but it as no basement under it...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks