exhaust

1. Dielectricunion

Rinnai loud exhaust on startup

I installed an Rinnai gas tankless for a friend of mine last year. He said when they turn on the shower every morning, it lets out a loud deep rumble from the exhaust (PVC). He described it as sounding like a didgeridoo. I did not check the gas pressure when I installed it but it is hard piped...
  2. Girafdaniels

Venting/BackDraft on Rheem Water Heater?

My carbon monoxide detector went off recently, so I had the gas company out to test levels at our only gas appliances -- 38000 BTU Rheem* water heater and 80% efficient 88000 BTU furnace sharing flue venting. The gas company measured 45 ppm CO at the top of the unit when it was kicked on (and...
  3. LarryLeveen

Small Holes in Gas Furnace and Water Heater Exhaust Pipes

I was surprised to see a small hole in each of the exhaust pipes for the gas furnace and water heater in my new-to-me house. Is there any reason why there would be a hole in an exhaust pipe like this? I certainly have never heard of one. They almost look intentional — or accidental but...
  4. LawdElpus

CPVC for venting EXHAUST oh no you didn't!

4 story condo. Built in 2005. All the exhaust vents for WH and Furnace are CPVC and some are turning brown. WH installer refused to hook up new one until the CPVC gets replaced. It sounds like even PVC will be a no-no soon. 2 families are suing over CO deaths attributed to CPVC. We have to RIP...
  5. clawbennett

Bathroom Exhaust Fans

I haven't been able to figure it out, so I figured I would ask here. Who do we call with regards to bathroom exhaust fans and their ducting? They are not pulling enough moisture out of the air in the bathrooms and attached bedrooms and we are getting condensation on the walls and windows in the...
  6. The_Optimyst

Run vent across ranch home to tie into existing pipe through roof or punch new hole/vent pipe?

I live in lower, Mid-Michigan, right near I-94. Winters here are mostly mild, but occasionally we drop into the -20s. I'm adding a laundry room on the South end of my 60s/70's build Ranch. We're taking part of an exceptionally huge garage to do this, so the roof is already in place. The septic...
  7. clawbennett

Testing Bathroom Exhaust Fan Venting

Hello! Here's my situation.... We have a 2 story house with walkout basement. There are 4 bathrooms in the house. All of the bathrooms have exhaust fans installed in the ceilings, but the issue is I can not access anything other than the fan itself to see if they are properly vented out of the...
  8. Wowser55

Gas Boiler Exhaust Vent Location

My neighbor just went from an old oil fueled boiler to a new gas boiler. The old boiler exhaust went out through the chimney. The new exhaust PVC opens out 5’9” from my garage. (These are old homes built in the 1920s before setbacks from the property line were implemented.) Does this exhaust...
  9. Ted T

Bathroom exhaust duct sizing

Hi all, I think this is the correct forum for these questions - if not, let me know and I'll lift and shift. Question #1: If most of a bathroom exhaust duct run is 3" diameter steel pipe, is there any benefit to having bigger duct (4"-6" round galvanized steel) at either end, and/or a bigger...
  10. Tarny

Distance between heater vent and Bathroom Fan vent

Hello, I was wonder if any one can tell me the minimum required distance between a roof gas heating chimney/vent and roof bathroom fan vent? (I am in New Jersey) I haven't been been able to find any information specific to bathroom fan vents. The closest information I can find refers to...
  11. Zardoz

Retrofit Bathroom Exhaust Roof Vent with Screen and Damper

I am looking for a solution from all you wizards out there. I have a home built in the mid 1990's. The bathroom exhaust fans vent to the roof without a damper or screen. I would like to find a "topper" to retrofit on top of the roof with a screen and efficient damper. It needs to be installed...
  12. Steveb7AZ

Installing a Panasonic bathroom exhaust fan in a condo

Can these be installed without access to the attic area? I live in a condo, and would desperately like to rid myself of the builder grade fan I have now. While there is attic space above the fan, there is no access to that area. When I contacted a local contractor who was recommended by the...
  13. Omar Alsweiti

Exhaust smell coming from hot water heater when it's not running

I don't know a lot about this stuff but i'll give it my best shot. Background: We came home one day and our hotwater heater wasn't running. Plumber came out and after troubleshooting, he replaced the faulty power vent fan (broke the pilot viewing window in the process though). The hotwater...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks