freezing

1. Soulbarn

At the height of the big freeze, one of our faucets stopped working. Sediment built up. Coincidence?

During the big freeze, despite our precautions, one bathroom faucet stopped working. It is in the middle of the house, but the line does come directly up from our unheated basement (so do all the lines, but this was the only one that had a problem.) I spent a day applying heat, not directly to...
  2. MattSkiWA

WA state - ski lodge waste design

I have read enough of the plumbing code to guess how deep the rabbit hole goes and I'm up to my eyeballs. In pre-COVID days, I'd take my DIY plans down the local AHJ, ask questions, get feedback, and then go apply pipe cement. This week I called Terry, and he suggested I post here. This...
  3. artistsnature

Why do I get hot water but no heat from oil boiler?

I have a Weil-McLain oil boiler, hot water baseboard, and the supply line froze (outside tank, overhead line). This happened last year too, so I had added heating oil additive to this year's tank, wrapped the pipe in heating wire and wrapped that in insulating tape. It still froze this year...
  4. mike0331

Running supply lines in unheated crawl-space that I cannot access

Hi all, TLDR at the bottom DIYer here. I am installing a washer/dryer in the closet in a room that was added on to our house prior to us purchasing it. We have a 1940s colonial in the peoples republic of Massachusetts with a large garage added about 10 years ago. 1/4 of that garage was...
  5. Foxwaves

Preventing freezing of an exposed section of sewage ejector discharge line...

I have to run a discharge line from a sewage ejector to a septic tank. About 20' of this is vertically up a stone bluff and I'm looking for freeze-prevention ideas? And advice? I'm hoping to avoid building an insulated box, but not sure what would be best. I don't think heat tape or that sort of...
  6. Bruce A. Johnson

Freezing problem - Heat tape on PEX & CPVC pipe?

Will pipe heating cable (AKA heat tape), be useful & safe on CPVC or PEX water pipes? I need to combat temperatures down to -40. (Canada, eh?) Also, is it useful & safe to use heat tape on large diameter PVC sewer line? The instructions say to never use it on anything other than water lines...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks