p-trap

1. ShopTalk

Stubborn Clog Removal

This thread is for discussions on how to remove stubborn drain clogs that have not responded to typical consumer grade chemical and mechanical solutions such as plungers, hand operated snakes 8 to 10 feet in length, and common brand name chemical drain openers, e.g. Drano, Green Gobbler, etc...
  2. Dvid

Trouble with P-Trap Backdraft

Master bathroom, two sinks. One has a backdraft of sewage smell daily, the other is fine. It's definitely not mold, but sewage. -The one that smells is used regularly, several times a day. It's not dried out. -The sink drains perfectly fine, not slow. -Smell comes when the water is hot or...
  3. Lehighlager

No vertical room for a Standard P-Trap, is Running Trap permitted?

Looking for some advice on how to plumb a floor drain where there is not much vertical distance between the top of the floor drain and the existing waste pipe. I've included a diagram of what I want to do, labeled A. Basically the trap would be in-line with the 3-inch waste pipe (waste pipe...
  4. Slots

Need advice about captive nut use with P-Trap.

I have a 1-1/2" PVC (white) p-trap. Connecting at the tailpipe side is no problem. But connecting at the 1-1/2" (white) wall side pipe is a problem. The captive nut on the (Charlottesville 1-1/2") wall side pipe is thinner, larger (2" ?) and does not come down over the end of the pipe. I have...
  5. Catelizabeth

A clean pipe that cause water back up to both sink.

Our townhome built in 2018 so it is quite new. Recently, we started to have the back up water in our kitchen double sink. The situation is: we can run the tap at maximum flo for about 2 minutes and then the water start to back up to both sink. Right side worse than the left side. It also...
  6. Tangent

P-trap arm soldered to drain stubout

This p-trap arm is damaged on the portion that holds the washer. Since the other end is soldered to the drain stubout, I decided to hacksaw off the damaged portion, circled in green in photo 2. It seemed to work fine for a while, but eventually water would seep out from above the new washer. I...
  7. Woodpecker

OK to add height to p-trap outflow?

I'm installing a new sink and counter in our bathroom. The sink and tailpiece are vertically deep enough and the wall tube (drain, outflow) is high enough that the p-trap I bought won't quite reach (upwards) the wall tube. Can I add a vertical extension piece to the outflow side of the p-trap...
  8. Timothy Miller

AAV Location or placement under Kitchen sink?

In this situation, is the current location of the P Trap in relation to the AAV valve correct, or must the P-trap be below the base of the drain pipe?
  9. Jason8383

2 P-trap, Washing Machine Pan. AAV

Hi, I have a washing machine with a stand pipe which is vented to an AAV (metal rood, don't ask) , under the washing machine I am planning on putting a drain in case of flooding, so another drain, P-trap, vented to same AAV. Can we do that? - P-trap of standpipe will be 6" above floor...
  10. RuralAtlantic

Connecting brass P-trap to ABS drain, without slip joint

I'm trying to connect a 1-1/4" brass p-trap (for an exposed vanity) to the 1-1/2" ABS drain line. The challenge is that the wall that the drain is in is very shallow (about 2.5") and the pipe escutcheon/flange is not deep enough to cover an entire slip join, it is just deep enough to cover the...
  11. CapMcC

AAV Recommendations for a Tight Space

I have a tight space in which I need to install an air admittance valve (AAV). The below image shows the back of the wall behind my bathroom sink that is competing with my nearby tub drain to see who can suck out the other's p-trap faster. From my review of IRC P3114, my options seem very...
  12. MickeyVA

Moving P-Trap and Connecting PVC to Pipe?

Hi. We are in the midst of a very small powder room renovation, and we are struggling a bit with the p-trap plumbing for the new wall-mounted sink. There was a wall-mounted sink previously, and the p-trap went low and made a left 90 degree turn into the vent/drain pipe. Since we are trying...
  13. St3v

Snappy Trap Abomination

Its my first foray into plumbing, and during a bathroom sink down pipe replacement, the p-trap snapped off and fractured into pieces (!). So, in a rush, I purchased a snappy trap and proceeded to figure it out. Behold the abomination below: I had to use the flexi-hose because the drain pipe...
  14. B. Clark

Stumped by double vanity

Background Info: Upstairs double vanity. Both sinks won't drain. Sink 1 on L side; Sink 2 on R side. Sink 2 overflow connects to Sink 1's tailpiece. Single-piece vanity top. Troubleshooting Measures Taken: Pulled P-traps and tailpieces. Sink 1's tailpiece was full of sediment in overflow...
  15. orangesoda123

PVC Flexible Coupling Under Shower

Hello Everyone! Question about some plumbing work I'm about to do. I need to move the drain for a new shower install (installing in a basement, the drain is in an opening in concrete). I'm going to cut the current p-trap out to the main drain line that runs under the concrete floor and...
  16. cstiehl

Wall drain height & new deeper Kitchen sink?

I just installed a new deeper sink with disposal. The top of the P-trap lines up with the center of the disposal output. I'm wondering if this is acceptable and if so how I can make it work. I read a bunch of threads here and learned a lot but not sure what my best option is. I heard...
  17. desmo907

Need to adjust P-trap - cut metal pipe?

I replaced vanity top with new sink and faucet. Home is from 1988. Seem the drain pipe from the wall is metal and protrudes maybe 5". There is a P-trap connected to it (the elbow part seems just pressed on to the end of the metal pipe as I cannot seem to unscrew it, etc.). Unfortunately...
  18. Sailor

Shower p-trap vent location and slope

I'm remodeling my master bathroom and going with a Kerdi channel drain and larger shower extending to where we used to have a sink. I tied the new drain where the sink drain used to be. I'm wondering whether the vent should have been connected closer to the p-trap. This is the first time I do...
  19. LarryFahnoe

Trouble snaking tub drain

Main problem: a bathtub in a 1920s house is draining very slowly. P-trap is brass connected to a galvanized drain line. Furnace ducts block access to the drain line & even if I could access the area, I'm doubtful that I could get the P-trap off. Since everything is old, I'd rather not create...
  20. Jimjr

Basement Bathroom Sink Questions

Hello, I have two questions about our basement bathroom sink plumbing. I’ve attached three pictures to show the plumbing. The first picture shows that the sink drains vertically into a cast iron pipe in the floor. [This is how the builder’s plumber did the rough in.] The second picture...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks