disposal

1. 10%Joe

Single Basin Sink Plumbing

I have a new single basin sink and found that some people were recommending that the dishwasher waste not route through the disposal to avoid corrosion issues. I'm having trouble finding an example online showing this alternate routing. Would it be okay to add a appliance Y to the disposal...
  2. PTMARC

Kitchen sink drain vent

I am remodeling my kitchen and have a new 10 inch deep stainless steel sink to install with a garbage disposer. The current/old sink drain is too high for the new deep sink with disposer and I am working through options to lower my stub out. The drain currently runs through the stud bays in an...
  3. DIYinVA

Double Garbage Disposals

I'm installing a Double Sink, and want a disposal in each, one with a standard dishwasher drain attached. I'm all set with the electric (2 air switches in countertop), but I'm seeing flaky stuff on the web regarding the best, code-compliant way to do this. I found an old post that says: A...
  4. Terry

GE GFC700 01 Disposall by General Electric

GE GFC700 01 Disposall by General Electric removal, spelled with two el's. Sure, why not. :) The unit had jammed and I went out to replace it with a Badger 5. My go to on disposers. Looks like it has a rather large motor and grind chamber? Or maybe that's just dressing it up a bit...
  5. Nizolekz

Dual Sink Issue

Hey All - I was hoping you could help me with an issue that I’m having and can’t figure out what might be causing it. I have side by side sinks, one with a garbage disposal and the other is a standard drain. When I have stuff in the disposal along with some water (usually to help the...
  6. Marcus Stenzel

Garbage disposal jerks/twists with force

Hi folks. I flipped my disposal switch while looking under the sink and did not like what I saw (video link below). This seems like a twisty jerk that requires tightening. I don' t know if just tightening the PVC connections would lock it in place or if the disposal unit has loosened from its...
  7. cstiehl

Wall drain height & new deeper Kitchen sink?

I just installed a new deeper sink with disposal. The top of the P-trap lines up with the center of the disposal output. I'm wondering if this is acceptable and if so how I can make it work. I read a bunch of threads here and learned a lot but not sure what my best option is. I heard...
  8. JSwift

Double kitchen sink slow draining after disposal trap installed.

I have a dual kitchen sink with recently installed drain plumbing that is not draining slowly (pictures below). Prior to the new plumbing the AAV was about 10” above the top of the lateral line into the wall (where it goes to a 90° and into the slab). The disposal had no trap, it was a straight...
  9. TV Tommy

I'm sure something is wrong. Disposal install At a friend's house

My friends disposal Was installed by some hack artist. When the disposal side sink is half filled with water and the disposal turned on water comes up the drain on the other side. Please take a look at the picture and tell me what to do. I'll do it!
  10. IndyDave

Lowering sink drain/installing disposal

Hi - we are replacing our kitchen sink with an undermount that is deeper. Based on the difference in depth, I will need to lower the outlet at the wall and have a few questions: 1) When I lower the sanitary tee (probably around 3-4 inches) am I ok to just use a Fernco connection above the tee to...
  11. CliffA

Adding Disposal to Double Sink without Baffle Tee?

Is there a way to add a disposal to a double sink without using a baffle tee, and still meet code? For example, can I give both the disposal and their other sink their own trap, and put a Wye on the arm? Does that run afoul of the two trap prohibition even thought the traps are in parallel? Or...
  12. Troodon

Disposal Air Gap Hose Installation Causing Smells?

Hi Everyone, We've been noticing nasty smells off and on after we wash our dishes in the dishwasher. Egg-like smells, or sometimes just old food smells that stick to dishes and sometimes glasses. Opening the dishwasher in the morning, you can sometimes smell it from a couple yards away. We...
  13. KBrum

Garbage Disposal Clogged - already used a 25' snake

Hello all. I'm in need of some help as I have very little plumbing knowledge and this is the first time I've had a disposal in my home. My garbage disposal is backing up into my sinks. I started with a sink plunger (but didn't cover the sink overflow to increase pressure), followed it with...
  14. Terry

When should you replace your disposal? How long do they last?

I like to replace disposals at eight years. If you ask the manufacturer, they will tell you they are good for 15 years. Well..........maybe that can happen. What can also happen is that the blades get dull and they start peeling instead of chipping and the need to call a plumber to clear your...
  15. mechD

Disposal Wiring Puzzle

We recently had counter top replaced and had to move the disposal switch after cutting down a bi-level counter. After moving a light switch and the disposal switch we were still using the sink (including the disposal with the new switch that was working perfectly fine) and limited surfaces...
  16. Terry

Disposer leak at basket. The snap ring not fully engaged.

Here was a disposer leak at the connection between the disposer rubber seal and the basket, caused by the installer not seating the snap ring in the groove. You can see on the right side the snap ring sticking out, and on the left how it's hidden. Everything looked fine to the handyman that...
  17. indianajonesy

Disposal outlet/waste line height differential question

So I'm 90% done (probably a hopeful exaggeration...) with renovating my kitchen and the wife decides to tell me she'd like a disposal. We conveniently have an abandoned wall box with power there (probably from a prior disposal), so I tell her sure. Now I'm getting ready to order a disposal and...
  18. OklahomaDave

Securing disposal flange on new stainless sink

Greetings! I have just completed the reinstallation of a garbage disposal into a new stainless sink in our kitchen, and while the install appears to have been successful, I am concerned about one thing. The previous sink into which this disposal was installed was essentially flat on the...
  19. LaurenHere

Disposal Conundrum

Good morning! I have a Badger 500 disposal that is really giving me a headache. Here are the facts: When I turn on the disposal it only hums. I put a broom stick in the disposal but can't seem to find anything in there. I'm able to manually turn both blades from the top of the sink in both...
  20. tim griffin

Kitchen Island Plumbing Ideas Help

We were sort of forced into an early kitchen remodel (years before we were ready) and I need some help on plumbing our island. Ahem I thought I had this all worked out in my head but now I'm a bit unsure. The house sits on a foundation with a crawlspace with a 3" drain about 10 feet in front...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks