Feedback on Ingenium Flushing System (Kohler)

Users who are viewing this thread

badeb

Reaction score
Does anyone have feedback on the Ingenium Flushing System in some of the Kohler toilets?
Thanks

kohler_wellworth_2000.jpg

Kohler Wellworth being removed after a few years of use. Being replaced by a Toto Ultramax.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Yes,

Test results and actual use are all over the board.
It ranges from 125 grams to 500 grams according to the MaP testing.
Many of these toilets being replaced by better ones.

Here's one comment sent to me today.
"I am looking to replace a Kohler Gabrielle useless piece of junk that has problems just flushing the water in the bowl " D. Snider

Mitchedo

Reaction score
badeb said:
Does anyone have feedback on the Ingenium Flushing System in some of the Kohler toilets?
Thanks

I just replaced a 1963 vintage 3-gal toilet with a Kohler Santa Rosa. The drain in my floor has a 3" close ell connector right at the flange, and was totally plugged when I removed the old toilet. I would like to shoot the plumber that installed that close ell. It's copper, so I can't easily change it until I tear out the ceiling in my basement when I remodel. I will be changing it to an ell with a longer sweep.

I bought a Toto Ultramax, but it would not fit because of the baseboard heater right behind the toilet. I went to Home Depot with Terry's flushing report in hand, and bought the best flushing toilet I could find, the Kohler Santa Rosa. I had to find a toilet where the base did not go all the way back to the wall.

Others have complained about being unable to plunge it. I had to plunge it during my initial "flush tests" once. It was easy to plunge. ...don't know what others' probems were. To give an idea of what wouldn't flush, it was a ridiculously large mass of poo (high-fiber diet :eek: ) with a lot of Charmin Ultra. The bowl was full to above the water line. It almost flushed it. My old 3-gal toilet wouldn't even come close to flushing that much.

The Ingenium system is very quiet with a good bowl wash. It flushes MUCH better than either of my old 3-gal toilets. I will install the Toto Ultramax in the other bathroom when I get time, and will post a comparison. Neither of the 3-gallon flushers in my house flush well, and both have a jet in the bottom of the bowl.

In short, I was not overwhelmed by the amount of "stuff" it could flush, though it flushes a lot. It is very quiet (both flushing and filling) and has a great bowl wash. I'm assuming the Toto will be better, but that remains to be seen. I can attest that the toilet can flush over the 500 grams that it was rated in the report, even in my poorly-designed drain line.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Emails and phone calls sent in by readers
Website
www.terrylove.com
Dear Terry Love,
Thank you for this very excellent report on toilets. I found you through Google, after a six-year old Kohler Wellworth "toilet disaster" which overflowed into the basement and all over my precious belongings.
Once the mess was finally under control, we headed straight to the internet to help us in our quest for a better toilet. We are going to build a new home in 2008 and surmised this toilet issue must have happened for a reason, so let's be smarter with the next house!
Your report is exactly what we were searching for. We will likely choose a Toto Drake. After reading your excellent report on all the toilets, we feel much more confident in selecting a good toilet for the next house.
Thanks to you, I will no longer will have a "fear of toilets" after moving day! But for now, I have certainly learned my lesson: Never, EVER flush a toilet twice if you clog it. Instead, reach for the plunger first thing.
P.S. Why don't these inferior hunks of porcelain come with a warning?
Beware, and be prepared to spend hours of your life at the commode after doing your business. If you think you're getting out of here quickly, think again! And keep your plunger handy!
Sincerely,
J Young

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
"ingenium" is Kohler's buzzword for just a plain old toilet. It actually is supposed to be a combination of siphon jet and rim flush action. Per the reports, and per experiences in the field, they are maybe an "average" toilet at best.

I don't know if you are in the market for a new one. The Toto's, including the reasonably priced Drake, are very well liked. The American Standard Cadet 3 has proven a good value. The Eljer Titan is another one. Some of us are fond of the "pressure assisted" toilets, but others are not happy with the sound level and cost of maintenance.

Last edited:

Maxwell

Reaction score
ingenium flushing system

I`m new at this but here goes:
I have a Wellworth toilet dated June 11,1941 that was having troubles flushing corectly.Our water is very hard with lots of minerals so I have to punch the holes in the rim with a nail once in a while to so the water can get out,but on this occasion I was cleaning inside the drain tube on the inside of the bottom of the toilet and found two water jets that can only be felt if you stick you`re fingers up inside the water tube.They were encrusted with minerals so I broke through the minerals and opened them up.Now this is the old 5 gallon model and with the jets opened up,it`s a strong KEWOOSH!!!!!!!!! when she goes now.I was wondering if this 68 yearold jet could be the ingenium flushing system.Kholer merged with Wellworth at some point so maybe this old dog is teaching them a few new tricks.
MAXWELL

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks