1994 Kohler Wellworth 1.6 gallon Toilet Review and comments

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In 1992 codes required 1.6 gallon toilets.
Kohler came out with it's first stab at it.
A high tank with siphon jet flush, using a 2" flapper and flush valve.
It was a quck closing flapper that was only supposed to let a little water out of the tank.
If that flapper was replaced with an old style flapper, it would drain the entire tank.
Which doesn't sound bad, but take a look at that tiny trapway.
Imagine a plugged toilet, and then that big tank overfilling the bowl and onto the floor.
That part wasn't so good.

The one pictured below is headed for the dump.

wellworth_1994.jpg

Kohler Wellworth 1994 1.6 Gallon Flush

wellworth_1994_inside_tank.jpg

Looking inside the tank

wellworth_1994_3_bolts.jpg

Three bolts to connect the tank.

Last edited:

Achutch

Reaction score
Terry,

When I had the upstairs bathroom tiled in 1994, that's what I put in to replace a 3.5 Mansfield which served me well. What a MISTAKE that was! That piece of junk is what started a revolving door of toilets which ended in 2005 after I bought my Toto Drake.

That 1994 toilet would gather paper into a ball and plug solid. In order to make it work, you had to flush the paper in small batches.

In the downstairs half bath, the original Crane Galaxy (1986) was replaced with the Universal-Rundle Atlas. Compared to the 1994 Wellworth, it was an improvement, at least it didn't plug as often. That one got replaced too!

The new toilets that are in my home today perform better and more reliably than anything that has been in their place before and have drastically reduced my water bill.

Oh, by the way, I really got even with someone who did me wrong. I gave him my 1994 Wellworth!!!

achutch

1994-wellworth-terrylove-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks