The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
glenwall-picture-2.jpg

American Standard Glenwall toilet
Painting on wall by Trinda Love

This is a pressure assist toilet using a Sloan Flushmate.
They make a good replacement for older wall hung toilets for both commercial and home use.
Most tank type toilets were used in homes, and quite a bit were installed in the sixties. 40-50 years later, and some of those are now in need of replacement.

There is a bit of a thump when flushing. I notice when this toilet is flushed in the home, even from other rooms.
They don't clog, however they may shred some paper from the high speed siphon jet. It sometimes takes two flushes for clear water.
The inner tank is made by Flushmate. They provide a 10 year warranty on their inner tank.

glenwall_flushmate.jpg

glenwall_picture.jpg

Glenwall toilets in the Seattle area
Terry Love, 206-949-5683

Other choices would be the Gerber Maxwell Wall-Hung

Last edited:

dimprov

Reaction score
Could it be upgraded to use a quieter power flush mechanism? Maybe one that doesn't "thump", or where at least you wouldn't hear it from other rooms.

David

scharlesanders

Reaction score
problems flushing

Hi, we have a Glenwall toilet that seems to have problems flushing. The pressure tank seems to be good, alignment good, it used to flush great - now is 'sluggish' and has problems with solids/paper. Any ideas?
-s

gwh51

Reaction score
Problem with air vents on bottom of toilet.

glenwall_small.jpg

This is a pressure assist toilet using a Sloan Flushmate.
They make a good replacement for older wall hung toilets for both commercial and home use.
Most tank type toilets were used in homes, and quite a bit were installed in the sixties. 40-50 years later, and some of those are now in need of replacement.

There is a bit of a thump when flushing. I notice when this toilet is flushed in the home, even from other rooms.
They don't clog, however they may shred some paper from the high speed siphon jet. It sometimes takes two flushes for clear water.
The inner tank is made by Flushmate. They provide a 10 year warranty on their inner tank.

glenwall_flushmate.jpg

glenwall_picture.jpg

Glenwall toilets in the Seattle area
Terry Love, 206-949-5683

Whenever I flush the toilet, water leaks from the two small airholes at the bottom of the toilet where it joins the wall. Its not leaking from the seal. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com

Jamie tried to install a American Standard Glenwall wall hung toilet today.
The first tank was bad, so he packed up, went to the wholesaler, opened a second tank box, that was defective too, opened the third box, that one worked.
So out of four American Standard boxes opened, two were defective. 50% defects on this job.

It also made a simple toilet change out, a two trip project.
Two trips to pick up parts, two trips for the installation.
A little bit of help from the American Standard factory would be nice.
Please pay your inspectors to pull this junk "before" you ship it.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Tried two Glenwalls this week.
One had a bad tank.
So once again, we had a two trip installation, taking the defective tank back, and returning to the supplier for a non-defective tank, running back to the job and finishing.

So on that job, five boxes, one bad box. 20% defects on that job.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
glenwall_flower.jpg

We installed this one yesterday.
This uses the Flushmate tank.

The homeowner loved how it looked.

If you already have a wall hung installation from the sixties, this can be a good replacement.

Last edited:

Dan01801

Reaction score
American Standard Yorkville Leaking

Hi All..

I am having a major problem with an American Standard Pressure Assisted Yorkville Rear Discharge toliet. When we first installed the toliet it began to shoot water out where the tank meets the bowl after about three flushes. I figured it was an issue with the gasket etc so I tried a new one.. and the problem continued. I contacted A/S and they were bascially no help. They bascially told me to try and new tank.. I ordered a new tank and the same thing.. water shoots out when flushed. Again A/S said it was probably a problem with the bowl during manufacting etc. SO I ordered a new bowl. I installed the bowl last night and the same problem continues.. does make any sense to me.. I am hoping I am doing something wrong.. getting very fustrating. This is supposed to be a good quality toliet.

Thanks in advance for your help
Dan

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
American Standard.

I'm getting 20% returns on them.
I'm not surprised.

Keep trying tanks and bowls until it quits leaking.
That's how American Standard builds their products.
In fact, that's what the tech support told you too.

It sucks for us too.

The nice picture of the toilet above with the floral wall paper?
I just replaced the tank on that one too.

Last edited:

daveinct1969

Reaction score
I bought 3 American Standard Glenwalls and they are all junk

I thought I was buying a decent toilet (especially by the price). I am remodeling and older home and replaced all three old American Standards with the new Glenwall Pressure assisted function. Within 2 weeks.. all three were leaking. My plumber wont touch them.. we replaced gaskets over and over.. it might just be the tank but I refuse to buy anything else from American Standard! Their service and quality is just not there. Recommend staying away. Does anyone know of an alternative wall mount?

Hi All..

I am having a major problem with an American Standard Pressure Assisted Yorkville Rear Discharge toliet. When we first installed the toliet it began to shoot water out where the tank meets the bowl after about three flushes. I figured it was an issue with the gasket etc so I tried a new one.. and the problem continued. I contacted A/S and they were bascially no help. They bascially told me to try and new tank.. I ordered a new tank and the same thing.. water shoots out when flushed. Again A/S said it was probably a problem with the bowl during manufacting etc. SO I ordered a new bowl. I installed the bowl last night and the same problem continues.. does make any sense to me.. I am hoping I am doing something wrong.. getting very fustrating. This is supposed to be a good quality toliet.

Thanks in advance for your help
Dan

American Standard.

I'm getting 20% returns on them.
I'm not surprised.

Keep trying tanks and bowls until it quits leaking.
That's how American Standard builds their products.
In fact, that's what the tech support told you too.

It sucks for us too.

The nice picture of the toilet above with the floral wall paper?
I just replaced the tank on that one too.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
This is the best replacement wall mount out there.
We replace tanks until we get good ones.

It sucks, but nobody else is making a decent wall mount with tank design.

There are some in-wall tank toilets, but they don't interchange.

American Standard, What can I say?

beachplace

Reaction score
Is the American Standard Glenwall still the best replacement option for a wall mount?

I have an old Case wall hung that may need to be retired.

Thanks for the input.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Is the American Standard Glenwall still the best replacement option for a wall mount?

The bracket in the wall would need to be changed to a four bolt.
So, since you are going into the wall, the Glenwall would make a good replacement,
Or you may want to look into the carrier from other brands that use an inwall tank.

Normally here in Seattle, we're replacing with the Glenwall.

glenwall_instruction_1.jpg

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
glenwall_picture.jpg

A/S must be treating all their wholesalers as if they were Home Depot.

Maybe.
In the last year or so, I've had many more defects with American Standard then I'm used to.
And like you hj, I'm only buying from the normal wholesale outfits reserved for plumbers.

Last edited:

MerryWidow

Reaction score
HELP! Need Wall-Mount Toilet Replacement Advice

First time poster here!

I purchased a 1964 bi-level home (that was still stuck in hippy 1964, green shag & all but high quality construction materials). Most of the '60's decor is gone (except for the still functioning, quirky, center front door knob) and now I'm ready to begin remodeling/gutting two bathrooms.

Both upstairs baths have the original, wall-mounted, American Standard toilets and are located over finished basement. Technically, both toilets 'function' but I just can't get the bowls clean and my 17 yo son clogs them very regularly (my lecture for 'more fiber' falls on deaf ears!).

I spoke with my local Lowe's rep and he says that I can go back with Am. Standard but their rep's response to problems is about non-existent. He says the Kohler rep is great though plus their products are 'made in America'. The product he recommended was a Kohler tankless unit but said I'd need to replace with a 1" water line which I really don't want to do since I'd have to tear out about 30' of the downstairs ceiling to access the second bath (upstairs is all original hardwood flooring). Also, the well pump is showing 40 PSI and he said the toilets would need 60 PSI. So, to me, it just makes more sense to go back to toilets with tanks.

I'm in desperate need of your expert advice and opinions in non-technical terms please! However, there are a few issues that might reduce my selection (be it Kohler or another brand). First, I'm on well water with 3/8" (I think) copper pipes going between the floors and the water supply feeds straight uphill to the space between the floors. Second, the waste pipe to the septic system (no sewer) is old cast iron. Of the two toilets, one has a wall behind it that can be opened; however, the second has a window above. Lastly, the dishwasher, kitchen sink and washing machine do not feed into the septic so there's little water, except for the bath sinks and shower to push 'things' along. A no-no, yes, but the Health Department let it be grandfathered (and I'm careful not to harm the ground water environment).

I've read a lot on this site but much is still Greek to me. Basically, I want to replace with new wall-mount units that are quiet, aren't $1K+ in cost, and will handle my son's 'lack of fiber'. :mad:

I'll also have to find a plumber to install since the company I've been using says they 'don't do commercial' and consider wall-mount toilets to be 'commercial'. Looks like they'll be losing a customer!

All opinions and recommendations are welcomed and appreciated! :)

Karen

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I am only recommending the American Standard Glenwall if you have a 60's wall hung to replace.
The bolt pattern is the same, and they are not that hard to install.
Just make sure you keep and reuse the bolt caps, or you will find yourself at the hardware store looking for washers and nuts.

When you pick up your replacement Glenwall, also get a neoprene seal for it.

You can't install a Flushometer valve in a home without either replacing the meter, water service and most of your cold water piping, or installing an expansion tank near the toilet that can provide an instant 2.0 gallon surge.

The Glenwall has the tank built in, and can feed with your house pressure 3/8" feed.
It's a no brainer!

glenwall_small.jpg

Last edited:

MNI

Reaction score
2010 A/S Glenwall on a 60's Glenwall carrier?

Can anyone confirm (or deny) that a 2010 American Standard Glenwall toilet will fit on the existing carrier for a mid 60's era Glenwall toilet? Please no guesses here; I'd like to hear from a plumber who has done a swap out on the existing carrier (or not). Thanks very much. We haven't examined the carrier yet.

mifab_residential_carrier.jpg

This is a stanard Residential Carrier from Mifab.
Most home from the 60's with wall hung bowls have something like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks