advice on tricky sink waste rough-in

Users who are viewing this thread

fineline

Design/Build
Reaction score
hi all,

I'm just getting into my kitchen remodel and need some advice on how to run the kitchen waste and supply lines. Hopefully the attached photos with notes should show it all, but in a nutshell -- I am relocating the existing sink approx. 36" from its current location, the problem is the floor joist sits flush with the inside edge of the sill plate, so if I try to drill through the bottom plate I end up inside a cavity created by the rim joist, sill plate and floor joist. Obviously I don't want to cut through the floor joist like the original run does - see photo. The previous solution was to come out of the stud bay with a 45 and then turn it with another 45 down through the floor (see photo) -- I don't love this solution because its going to make my cabinet install more difficult and frankly it just doesn't look professional to me. Just a note on the first photo - the red highlighted area just shows the face and bottom of the floor joist, I thought it was a little unclear in the photo exactly where the joist was.

Any suggestions on this one?

Attachments

• WasteLineDiagram_lo.jpg
    WasteLineDiagram_lo.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 394
  • OldSinkPlumbing copy.jpg
    OldSinkPlumbing copy.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 419
  • JoistCut.jpg
    JoistCut.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 401

Cookie

Reaction score
You have 2 choices:

#1. You can completely remove the drain, vent, and water line from their present place and move it 36 in over to the right, and as far forward as necessary to miss the joist; and redrill and replace all of the lines and run a new vent to the attic. Doing this may make connecting to the sink a problem due to its orientation to where the sink will be.

Or:

#2. If the new cabinet space has a clear shot from the drains present postion to where the new trap is going to be I would cut the trap arm off leaving enough of a stub to install a 90 and run 36 inches to where the new trap needs to be. And, you can do the same with the water lines. BTW, if you do this I would suggest you replace all the old galvanized line while it is exposed.

Last edited:

fineline

Design/Build
Reaction score
thanks for the reply Cookie -- I should have been more accurate describing my plans. I want to completely remove all of the existing waste and supply lines and re-plumb with new, including a new vent. My issue is getting the new lines through the floor -- if I drill through the plate I end up trapped between the rim joist and the floor joist. Do you think I am stuck having to plum it like the orginal pipes in the photo - coming out of the stud bay at a 45 down through the floor?

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
I suspect that that solution is the simplest and best...
The piping should be hidden in the void below the cabinet (under the toe-kick) anyway...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks