New posters who cut and run

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or has there been an increase of new posters who pose a question, but then never respond back when we attempt to help them?

This has happened to me several times in recent weeks. In each case, I gave my best guess as to what was happening and what to do, but never heard back from them. Very frustrating!

I now see the wisdom in what some old hands around here have been doing - asking for more info before spending a lot of time responding. It's a good strategy - let's the new poster ante up a little more of their time and effort before we invest much time.

Too bad we have to do that...

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
Thankyou Steve

I feel the same Way! We give of our time and experience, It would be nice to see how things' turned out.
I'm at the point of dropping this thing!

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Is it just me or has there been an increase of new posters who pose a question, but then never respond back when we attempt to help them?

Setting aside the ocasional post that seems fabricated in the first place -- looking at ISP addresses could be enlightening -- I would guess the following:

1) Some folks get their answers and simply do not post back;
2) Some forget where they posted and never find their ways back;
3) Some posted in a variety of places and did not thank everyone;
4) Some folks first posted publicly, then only responded to the PMers.

Personally, I just try to offer any best answer I might have, irregardless, and on the thought that it might be helpful even to other folks who never post at all. Not all lurkers are trolls, you know!

Cookie

Reaction score
What exactly do you think you will find by looking at ISP addys? Unless, you have the exact software needed, which most do not, not much info is found extracted from it. Even using something like who is, doesn't tell much.

It just is the nature of the beast to not respond.

R

Rancher

Then there are several posters that just won't go away...

Like me! :p

Rancher

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new here for just a few days.
As newbie, I can understand doing a lot of lurking, simply based on the "keep my mouth shut and listen, I might learn something" principle. :D
But to ask for help and then just disappear is kinda rude.

What brought me here was searching for info on using PEX tubing to repair some plumbing I have in my shop building, that froze and split.
Google returned some threads from here.

Got pointed in the right direction here in the Indianapolis area of where to get a ProPEX Hand Expander Tool kit (Q6295075) by Master Plumber Mark.
Ordered it this afternoon, and it's supposed to be here Wednesday.

I've done some DIY copper pipe work, but thought this PEX tubing looked like fun to give a try, and I infer from what I read that it's a little more resistant to freezing.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself. Ed

Last edited:

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I agree with this thread. Knowing somebodies ISP will not get you very far. Heck My ISP and IP says I'm in Ri. When infact I'm in Ma. I'm not even close to Ri.

I look at helping people as a way of helping my self because I might learn a new trick or how good or bad an item is like the tank-less water heaters etc...

I could care less if some person comes for free advise or what ever.

Cookie

Reaction score
What is good about Terry's Site are the options you are given. He has a nice mix of pretty much everything a DIY'er would need or want; his site offers a way of comparing the ways things are done and prices on certain things; it varies from state to state and in doing so it does not eliminate anyone who might have a question or something to offer. His site probably saves not only time spent on doing something but money as well. I have noticed that more women are becoming DIY'ers and his site is the best thing around for them since indoor plumbing. He provides a much needed service.

Cwhyu2, I am pretty sure what Patrick88 meant was, he is more than happy to help someone.

Last edited:

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
88 if did not want to help someone why even bother.

What?

I do enjoy it but if there are people that just want to take advise and not say thanks that is wrong. They should come back and say thanks.

I do work in some peoples houses that don't bother to thank me after the work is done.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
guests

I think a lot of them are embarassed when they see how easy the solution was and they had not even tried it before writing, that they just want to disappear.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Thank you

Istand corrected Ilike to to help as much as I can.And I can understand
after Info recieved corects A problem.They will allways remember 88 & all
the rest of us.My apoligies to you all.
Clay

Cookie

Reaction score
Patrick,

What you said, reminds me of Rodney Dangerfield with his signature line of, " I don't get no respect." But, to the end he had the respect, and the gratitude, of everybody who ever laughed so hard they cried.

I think people really are grateful for much needed advice just some don't say it like they should.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
It used to bother me when this happened but I catch myself doing the same exact thing thinking, "I'll respond to that later" and it ends up being weeks/months.

Most will shoot to a 2nd or 3rd forum on the net to get various views on the situation.

I did that with an electrical question recently and my intentions are to follow up.

I wanted to wait till I had all the ducks in a row so I'm not wasting anyone's time firing feeler questions back and forth.

There's only so much that can be done on the net and I don't want to take too much of other's time.

I'm always impressed with the answers I get. Never had this 20 years ago....

Livin4Real

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new here for just a few days.
As newbie, I can understand doing a lot of lurking, simply based on the "keep my mouth shut and listen, I might learn something" principle. :D
But to ask for help and then just disappear is kinda rude.

What brought me here was searching for info on using PEX tubing to repair some plumbing I have in my shop building, that froze and split.
Google returned some threads from here.

Got pointed in the right direction here in the Indianapolis area of where to get a ProPEX Hand Expander Tool kit (Q6295075) by Master Plumber Mark.
Ordered it this afternoon, and it's supposed to be here Wednesday.

I've done some DIY copper pipe work, but thought this PEX tubing looked like fun to give a try, and I infer from what I read that it's a little more resistant to freezing.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself. Ed

FYI, If you ever need anything else checkout Economy Plumbing Supply at intersection of Capitol and Walnut downtown or at 96th and Hague Rd. Great folks to deal with.

Brian

Reaction score
FYI, If you ever need anything else checkout Economy Plumbing Supply at intersection of Capitol and Walnut downtown or at 96th and Hague Rd. Great folks to deal with.

Brian

Thanks for the info.
I've been to Economy Plumbing at 96th and Hague some over years, as I've lived in old Fishers since 1987.
I've been from Fishers since before Fishers was cool. :D (And it was about a 500 people one horse town)

I think I remember reading on this forum that Economy has the Vanguard PEX system.

I looked things over, and thought I'd try the ProPEX system.
So I went with Lee Supply in Carmel because they have the ProPEX expander tool. (got the tip from Master Plumber Mark)

In fact, looking over the ProPEX system fittings, am I remembering things right that somebody said the plastic fittings resist freezing better than the brass fittings? Thanks, Ed

jamz

Reaction score
I came here a month ago looking for info on plumbing and electrical. Asked a couple questions, got some great feedback and said some Thanks. Hope to start my projects soon and update everyone. But I just cant seem to go away. You guys are growing on me. I dont have much advise to offer to posts since I'm in no way an expert so I guess you can just refer to me as a lurker. :( Knowledge is the key. And since im pretty impressed with everyones knowledge here.........I'm just gonna feed off ya'll and tread lightly :D

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi jamz,

I know exactly what you mean!

Like you, I came here with a specific problem a few years back, and now can't break the habit of checking for new posts several times a day.

In no time, you'll be an old hand here and will jump in and offer advice based on what you've learned here. At first you'll feel like you don't really have much to offer, but in reality you'll have picked up a lot of helpful info that can help someone else with their problem.

I figure that some of the good folks on this list who have been here for many years probably get a little tired of answering some of the common problems over and over, so if you and I can help a bit by passing on what we've learned here, so much the better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks