Using old Copper Piping for new installations...

Users who are viewing this thread

Philtrap

Reaction score
Folks,

What are your thoughts about using scraps of old straight copper piping for a new boiler installation. These pipes are almost 50 years old. I had to remove a few feet of copper and now I need a small piece here and there for some 90's to make connections and instead of buying new copper, I want to use the old stuff that will fit. I don't think it's a bad but want to get your thoughts... Thanks in advance.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's likely okay, but a good visual inspection to see if there are any pits or other corrosion is a worthwhile first step. Copper pipe can last a very long time.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Folks,

What are your thoughts about using scraps of old straight copper piping for a new boiler installation. These pipes are almost 50 years old. I had to remove a few feet of copper and now I need a small piece here and there for some 90's to make connections and instead of buying new copper, I want to use the old stuff that will fit. I don't think it's a bad but want to get your thoughts... Thanks in advance.

What Jim said, but from one Long Islander to another: Wadda ya friggin' nuts? (sorry, lol) Even with the cost of copper being what it is, installing a new boiler costs a lot of money, why try to salvage 20 bucks or so of old copper?

Last edited:

Philtrap

Reaction score
What Jim said, but from one Long Islander to another: Wadda ya friggin' nuts? (sorry, lol) Even with the cost of copper being what it is, installing a new boiler costs a lot of money, why try to salvage 20 bucks or so of old copper?

Bob - It's really for a few very short lengths. I didn't want to buy a 10' length when I only needed a tiny amount. I'm probably going to end up using all new copper, but was just wondering what the thoughts on reusing short pieces was...

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
FWIW, the blue and orange box stores around here sell 2-foot lengths of rigid copper. Of course, it costs about a third to a half the price of a 10-footer ...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks