Intermixing wire size

Users who are viewing this thread

Mr_Magoo

Reaction score
I am installing a generator transfer switch in the garage.

My house is long and a main service panel feeds one half and a sub-panel feeds the other half. I want to put the master bedroom on the transfer switch. So, I will have to run it from the subpanel on the opposite side of the house.

The master bedroom is wired with #14 with a 15 amp breaker. I was thinking of doing the long run (about 80') from the sub-panel with #12 to minimize voltage drop. I would keep the existing #14 in the bedroom with only the #12 providing the feed. It would still have a 15amp breaker. Is intermixing wire size legal? I can put a label in the subpanel on the #12 that says "15amp only/#14 wire in circuit" to avoid confusion in the future.

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
I am installing a generator transfer switch in the garage.

My house is long and a main service panel feeds one half and a sub-panel feeds the other half. I want to put the master bedroom on the transfer switch. So, I will have to run it from the subpanel on the opposite side of the house.

The master bedroom is wired with #14 with a 15 amp breaker. I was thinking of doing the long run (about 80') from the sub-panel with #12 to minimize voltage drop. I would keep the existing #14 in the bedroom with only the #12 providing the feed. It would still have a 15amp breaker. Is intermixing wire size legal? I can put a label in the subpanel on the #12 that says "15amp only/#14 wire in circuit" to avoid confusion in the future.

Yes, you can use #12 with #14 as long as the breaker is 15amps, and nothing else needs to be done...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks