Insulating Water Pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
Between Fiberglass vs. Armaflex, which material is more *insulating* for water pipes.

I've noticed in commercial jobs, the guys use the fiberbglass wraps more.

Love to hear the pros/cons

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The one with the higher R-factor! That's usually the foam, but it depends on the thickness of each.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Commercial jobs use fiberglass because the specifications usually call for it, and its specific covering, as well as appearances. The thickness determines its "insulation value" NOT necessarily the material.

Chefwong

Reaction score
If thickness is the case, then it must be fiberglass all the way. Without me comparing them in front of me, I'm thinking at least 2X as thick..

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If thickness is the case, then it must be fiberglass all the way. Without me comparing them in front of me, I'm thinking at least 2X as thick..
Unfortunately, you'd be wrong! Depending on the foam, it may have as much as R5/inch. Fiberglass is rarely more than R2/inch, and because it has more open air spaces, can radiate more, reducing its effectiveness because of convection in it. A closed-cell foam doesn't have that issue. Fiberglass doesn't give off toxic fumes if it burns, some foams can. Decide what you need for R-factor, read the specs, see how thick you need to go with the preferred material, but if space is an issue, foam wins.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks