Confused - Is This a Well orJet Pump Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

kpf

Reaction score
I know very little about Wells and this stuff so please be patient with me.

I have a Franklin ½ H.P. Jet Pump that was installed in 1987 replacing the original from 1958. The well itself was installed in 1958. I have a water tank that was installed in 1995, plus a filter system after the water tank for Acid in my water.

About two years ago , a Technician who was servicing our water conditioning system (too much acid) told me that my Jet pump was running too long to build up to the proper pressure (about 45 lbs.) He told me that I would need a new system and wrote up a quote for a new Submersible system.

Last year another guy said that the Jet pump was running way to long and showed me how to back off the settings on the Jet pump relay, the nut, to give me some borrowed time before having to get a new system. (These two guys were just Technicians)

I dialed the pressure down to about 39 lbs and the pump would run for about 5 minutes, build up pressure and then shut off. I decided to live with that until it got worst.

The other day it was running for a long time. So I turned off the switch to kill the power to the Jet pump and adjusted the nut a little and now it’s about 37 lbs and takes about 5 minutes to build up from the low pressure turn on point of 25 lbs.

I have noticed that if I try to increase the pressure back up to over 40 lbs by adjusting the nut, the pump keeps running at about 40 lbs and won’t stop until I turn off the power and wait for about 10 seconds and turn the power back on, the pump does not start back up until the pressure goes to 25 lbs, so why does the relay not keep the pump running when I power the pump back on.

Should I have a Plumber troubleshoot the Jet Pump system before getting a well guy?

I spoke with a plumber on the phone and he said it could be down in the well or it could be something with the Jet pump itself. He said something about the hose between the relay and pump could just be dirty and that might be all to it, or I may have to have the well dug up to find the problem.

He offered to look at the Jet pump and tell me if it’s an easy fix or the well will have to be dug up, but his charge just to look at the Jet pump and check it out was about $150.

He said if I’m going to dig up the well, I should spend the extra money and get the Submersible.

Any thoughts on what this sounds like?

Thanks

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It does sound like the little hose between the pressure switch and pump is clogged. But it also sounds like either the pump is not producing the right pressure or the well is running low on water. I would clean the little hose and try it again. If you do replace the pump, a submersible is the way to go if it will fit in your well.

kpf

Reaction score
Thanks for the input...

Can a plumbing newbie disconnect that little hose and clean it out? I don't want to break something. Is it as easy as just unscrewing it etc?

Thanks

kpf

Reaction score
Thanks for the input...

Can a plumbing newbie disconnect that little hose and clean it out? I don't want to break something. Is it as easy as just unscrewing it etc?

Thanks

I just want to make sure I don't do anything stupid....Can I just turn off the power to the jet pump, take pliers or a wrench, unscrew the hose, take it to the sink and flush it out and then re-attach it and see what happens?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks