Toilet runs, after supply line replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Loke

Reaction score
In preparation for the installation of new toilets (Toto) and sinks we had the old water supply shut off valves and supply lines replaced. Now one of the toilets is misbehaving: the water level in the tank is higher than it should be and there is a slight sound of water running as it appears to be going into the overflow tube. A quick check at water meter shows that I'm not imagining the $ going down the drain so I've made use of the new ball valve shut off and disabled the toilet. Good thing we have 2 others!

I'm not sure whether this problem arising now is coincidence or whether something done with the replacing of the supply line/shut-off is likely to have precipitated the problem. I looked in my handy-dandy Reader's Digest home repair book and saw something about bending the float arm to change the water level, but the thing is somewhat old and I'm reluctant to put much pressure on it. To complicate things, the tank has only a couple of inches clearance between it and a banjo counter so it's not particularly easy to get at the innards.

Any suggestions? I am thinking that we could just turn on the water when we use the toilet and then, after the flush is done turn it off. Should only be a few weeks until the new toilets arrive...

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I'm not sure whether this problem arising now is coincidence
I think it is
I am thinking that we could just turn on the water when we use the toilet and then, after the flush is done turn it off. Should only be a few weeks until the new toilets arrive...
That's what I'd do -- or just continue to use the other toilets all the time.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Anytime water is shut off to a home, and then turned back on, you can get crud in the lines.
Especially if it's old galvanized piping.
Some of that crud may be in the "ballcock" of your old toilet preventing a good seal to shut the water off.

That is more likely than the ballcock going out of adjustment suddenly.
It's a good idea, when replacing shutoffs, to drain some into a pail until the crud clears out. Then you can connect the water supply.

"Crud" is the legal plumbing term for:
Rust
Sand
Bits of tape
Pipe Dope
Flux
Sandwich bread
Leftover meatballs

Attachments

• bread.jpg
    bread.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:

Loke

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I'd have thought that the professional I hired would have done what was necessary to eliminate any possibilities of "crud" but perhaps he didn't. (Our house is a mid 70s one with copper piping). I will be sure to comment to him when he returns for the installation of the new fixtures. At least the main water supply will not be needing to be shut off for that!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks