Hum and Delay in garbage disposal

Users who are viewing this thread

Russ75

Reaction score
I just replaced my 3/4 hp. garbage disposal with a 1hp. When the switch is turned on there is a fraction of a second delay during which the disposal has a low hum before it starts to rotate. It is on a 20 amp dedicated circuit. I have replaced the switch but that didn't solve the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
I just replaced my 3/4 hp. garbage disposal with a 1hp. When the switch is turned on there is a fraction of a second delay during which the disposal has a low hum before it starts to rotate. It is on a 20 amp dedicated circuit. I have replaced the switch but that didn't solve the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Have you tried to teach it the words so it could sing? :D:D:D

Turn it on and let it run for a few minutes and see if this cures your problem.

Russ75

Reaction score
OK, thanks..... I tried letting it run for a few minutes, and no change. It still has a slight (fraction of a second) delay during which a faint humm is heard before it starts. Everything else is normal. Maybe I should re-do my connections on the power cord? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
With the switch off, use the allen wrench they supply in the motor shaft to turn the shaft to help unblock a jam. Try to get a feel for how stiff it is. Sounds like the thing is really tight. It could be defective or have a bent shaft. It might just loosen up as it is run for awhile.

Russ75

Reaction score
It's an Insinkerator Evolution Excel. I tried the wrench and it rotates smoothly and evenly. The problem started before I put any food through it, so it's not related to anything stuck in the machine.

Installing the Evolution in the Seattle area.

evolutioncompact_med.jpg

The PRO Insinkerators we sell and install have longer warranties than the Evolution Series

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I realized that, just wanted to make sure that the shaft and bearings were not a problem.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I have exactly the same problem (?) with exactly the same disposer. It's been doing that ever since it was installed (since June or so), so I'm just continuing to ignore it. For some reason it's just not starting immediately, as we would expect. Might be worth a call or e-mail to Insinkerator.

These disposers use a centrifugal switch to switch the starting capacitor in and out of the circuit -- I forget if it's in when starting or out, but if the switch fails, the unit will sit there and hum forever. It will hum briefly if the shaft is locked and then releases, but we both know the shaft is free. I tore apart an old Badger 5 that was humming a while ago, and you wouldn't believe the crud inside the motor that was keeping the switch from moving. I cleaned it up, put it back together, and it worked fine.

I got curious enough to send a request off to Insinkerator's "Disposer Doctor". I'll let you know what they say if/when they reply.

Last edited:

Russ75

Reaction score
Thanks Mikey, I will also give them a call tomorrow and let you know what response I get.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
You're not going to believe this. A microprocessor in a garbage disposal.

Here's the reply I got from Insinkerator:

"Thank you for writing InSinkErator.

We understand that your disposer does not start automatically and initially makes a low electric hum upon activation. We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused.

If the Evolution Excel is powered on, one may experience a brief 1/2 second delay before the disposer starts. This delay is a result of the time it takes to power-up the microprocessor in the Jam-Sensor circuit, and a momentary buzz or hum may be audible during the power-up sequence. The delay and hum are completely normal.

We hope this helps."

Gotta give 'em credit -- it powers up faster than Vista! There's a lesson in here somewhere.

For your future reference, your case number is 1318059.

Russ75

Reaction score
I called and got the same answer, so that's good news. I'm glad to know it's normal operation. They also said that if it senses it is jammed, it will increase the power to overcome the jam.

Steve S

Reaction score
Insinkerator Evolution Excel Installation

I happened upon this web site last night at 11:30 PM after wasting 4 hours troubleshooting the delayed start in my newly installed garbage disposal. I rewired it, used different circuits and redid all I had done to track down the problem. And there was none. Thank you for the posts on line discussing the issue. It was comforting to know I was not alone. I put it all back together assuming it was either normal or defective. It would be nice for Emerson Electric to include a heads up notice on a bright orange sheet in the box stating the delay is caused by the micro processor and is normal.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
This delay is a result of the time it takes to power-up the microprocessor in the Jam-Sensor circuit
This is some kind of hi-tech doo-doo, fer sure. What's wrong with just having an inherently-hardier circuit breaker?

This country is in love with tech stuff.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
This is some kind of hi-tech doo-doo, fer sure. What's wrong with just having an inherently-hardier circuit breaker?

This country is in love with tech stuff.

According to Insinkerator The anti jam circut senses when a jam is about to occur and increases the rotational toque of the motor 500% while cycling the motor to create a 60 times per second hammering effect. If that fails and it still jams the circuit will automatically reverse the motor.

Yea its high tech and it's probably the best one ever built yet!

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Yea its high tech and it's probably the best one ever built yet!
Until it fails. The MTBF for this thing almost has to be less than the low tech disposals.

µProcessors can be made hardy but the consumer electronics people don't seem particularly interested in doing so (there is almost no chance of being sued, except maybe for Breach of Implied Merchantibility, certainly not for Wrongful Death).

500% torque = 500% normal current = capacitor supplying this current = DC motor in the disposal?
Or a flywheel to store this extra energy, used with a solenoid-operated clutch mechanism.

Last edited:

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
What do you want to bet that the next model has an IP address?

1984, fer sure.

An onboard microphone and camera would certainly help Homeland Security.
Plus, it could analyze your dietary habits.

It might even grind food particles, who knows?

Speaking of invasion of privacy, how hi tech are toilets and showers getting, lately?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I will tell you this...
I have made a lot of money off of repairing and replacing garbage disposers.
The only work I have done on the Insinkerator Evolution Disposers is install them. I have not had 1 single call yet to unjam one, check out one that wasn't working, or snake a clogged line from one. I installed the first one about 2 1/2 years ago and I have also not had any callbacks on them.

Go ahead put in the simpler cheaper Badger 1 or 5 unit...
I could use the money!

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
I will tell you this...
I have made a lot of money off of repairing and replacing garbage disposers.
The only work I have done on the Insinkerator Evolution Disposers is install them. I have not had 1 single call yet to unjam one, check out one that wasn't working, or snake a clogged line from one. I installed the first one about 2 1/2 years ago and I have also not had any callbacks on them.

Go ahead put in the simpler cheaper Badger 1 or 5 unit...
I could use the money!

"Garbage disposals typically last about 10 years"

If this is true these Evolution ones are too young, yet, to tell. I don't doubt that the anti-jam feature works. It certainly should, with all that torque and reversing and onboard intelligence.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks