End of space shuttle offers Russia new opportunity

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The mothballing of the space shuttle will be mourned by many astronauts, but Russia is relishing the prospect of serving as the only carrier to the international space station.
That honor will earn Russia hundreds of millions of dollars in fees for ferrying U.S. and other astronauts to the orbiting laboratory in its Soviet-vintage Soyuz spacecraft.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2015663081_shuttlerussia20.html

russian_space.jpg

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
The mothballing of the space shuttle will be mourned by many astronauts, but Russia is relishing the prospect of serving as the only carrier to the international space station.
That honor will earn Russia hundreds of millions of dollars in fees for ferrying U.S. and other astronauts to the orbiting laboratory in its Soviet-vintage Soyuz spacecraft.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2015663081_shuttlerussia20.html

View attachment 13572

Thanks for the post Terry.

Tomorrow will be a sad day in US Space Travel history.

What can we give away to another Country next ?

Don_L

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the post Terry.

Tomorrow will be a sad day in US Space Travel history.

Don_L

How about our country and jobs to illegal aliens? Oh, that's being done already:mad:.

I am compassionate; I give help all the time, but I don't wan't my stuff being taken away from me after I've paid for it. and Ian says give the government more money, they know what to do with it. What a joke.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
How about our country and jobs to illegal aliens? Oh, that's being done already:mad:.

I am compassionate; I give help all the time, but I don't wan't my stuff being taken away from me after I've paid for it. and Ian says give the government more money, they know what to do with it. What a joke.

Please everyone keep this in mind in 2012. We need this guy out of the White House.

John

Last edited:

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
The problem is they are not being "mothballed" they are being de-commissioned - pretty junk.

Isnt a replacement in the pipeline anyway?

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
The problem is they are not being "mothballed" they are being de-commissioned - pretty junk.

Isnt a replacement in the pipeline anyway?

DonL

Reaction score
They can not Replace all jobs that the shuttle could do, or done.

They were able to repair com satellites and the Hubble telescope, and them spy sats.

Now they think that they can just blow up the old sats and send a replacement.
Makes for a bunch of space junk that we will have to be dodging, Forever.

They never told the public about all of the rockets that got lost, or they had to destroy because they went off coarse.

It is not all the Bed of roses that people are lead to believe.

A satellite does not last forever. They were able to bring them back, Now we just hope for the best...

They did a lot more than make deliveries to the space station.

We will waste a bunch of money on a new project, Then wish we had the old one that worked...

DonL

DonL

Reaction score
2 of them got smoked, so thats a bit high on the loss list. Time for a new rig.

That is still a lower failure than the Rockets.

The Human lives can not be replaced, The rockets can, At your expense.

The US can build good Satellites, They just cant get all of them into the proper orbit.

Many of the Satellites that we launch are top secret, so the public never knows about the failures, but they do exist.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
How about IT jobs? Oh wait, most of those have gone to India.
How about manufacturing jobs? Ummm... those went to China and Mexico.
I know... Send welfare administration over to some call centre in India. Then, when you call to see where your welfare cheque is, you can talk to someone that goes by his Americanized name "Bob".

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
It's like hitting your head against a brick wall trying to get common sense through to Americans.

How many times have I told you this?

If you want to compete you need to put more tax dollars into i) education; and, ii) healthcare.

Other countries are beating the pants off of you because unless you come from a wealthly family here, you are likely to grow up being stupid, sick or both.

Good schools are too expensive and so is healthcare. Taxpayers need to step in.

A competitive labor force needs bright, healthy kids regardless of economic background.

It's not...rocket science.

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
You have told us many times Ian.

My question for you is;

In your opinion, Is there anything that us Americans are good at/for ?

Have a Great Day.

DonL

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Your burgers are the best in the world. Period.

Your brassware is very nice but disappearing.

And your pumps (e.g. Zoeller) are top notch.

Your roads are wide (which is nice) but poorly maintained (which is bad).

America's innovation is the key thing that always sees it through.

Everything else, I can't think of much but we can debate.

So, if you're after a decent hamburger, a brass sconce or a new pump them come to America. You will be very pleased!

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I think with the latest influx of immigrants, we have also become good at making and using pinatas. anybody here have a good candidate for a design/look of one?

DonL

Reaction score
I think with the latest influx of immigrants, we have also become good at making and using pinatas. anybody here have a good candidate for a design/look of one?

Here is My Vote;

pinata.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks