Well Running low on water?

Users who are viewing this thread

Terrymh

Reaction score
Website
www.mountainhomeha.com
Here is some background on the well we have. We have lived here in mountain Home, Idaho for two years and have had no water problem with the well. The well was installed in 2000 and is at a depth of 550 feet and at that time the water level was at 450 feet.

This year we decided to plant one acre of alfalfa and use the existing well to water it. We planted about three week ago. The well we have will pump 25gpm and I’m using a 1500gal storage tank as a buffer for the field. We are using about 3,000 to 4,000 gal a day to water the field. I noticed the other day that the filter on the water tank was plugged up so I checked it and it was full of sand. I cleaned it and it filled up two days later. Today I cleaned it again and it was the same sand but now the water coming out into the tank is a light brown color. The house water is still clear and tastes fine but we have a sand filter on that.

So my question is. Am I over extending my wells capacity or do I have another problem? Also whom would I contact to find out what the problem might be and what can I do to solve it?

At this time I’m stopping all watering of the field until I can figure out this problem.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I would call a local Well Driller to diagnose the problem. It may or may not be something that can be fixed. You may have to live with the sand and find a better way of filtering it. I use two of the biggest Sand Filters made for Swimming Pools. They will filter out the finest sand and are easily backwashed to get rid of it when it becomes necessary.

I can get you the model numbers if it will help.

bob...

Mikebarone

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Information on a reusable whole house water filter:

My parents are on a well that produces a lot of sand and silt. They had installed a typical whole house water filter, but because of the amount of sand and silt in the water, they had to change the filter about every five days.
I found this washable and reusable bag type filter on the internet. The manufacture states that you can wash it in the washing machine over 100 times. You can order different filtration size filters; my parents ordered a 25 micron, and a 10 micron, and are using the 10 micron now. The filter has been installed for about a month now and so far, so good. I did install two pressure gages, one on the inlet side, and one on the out let side. This is so a reading difference between the two can be done, and therefore they can tell when the filter is getting full.
I’ve sent a photo of the bag filter.
Make sure that you have what they call a, “pump saver†on your well, or if you suck air you will toast your pump. I would also say that if you only have a 3†residential pump, and you go trying to irrigate with it, it won’t last too long. They do make bigger pumps, but you may have to drill a larger diameter well, (like it was said, check with your local well drilling company).

Good luck,

Mike

Here is the web site:
http://www.purewaterexpress.com/wholehouse.htm

Mikebarone

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I would call a local Well Driller to diagnose the problem. It may or may not be something that can be fixed. You may have to live with the sand and find a better way of filtering it. I use two of the biggest Sand Filters made for Swimming Pools. They will filter out the finest sand and are easily backwashed to get rid of it when it becomes necessary.

I can get you the model numbers if it will help.

bob...

I tried to hook up a pool cartridge filter to my parents well, but the 50 psi was too much for it, and it blew up the bottom half of the filter.

Mike

Mikebarone

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
photo of bag filter....

I guess it didn't take the first time.

Attachments

• Water filter.JPG
    Water filter.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 265

Speedbump

Reaction score
The pool filters aren't rated for anything over 50 psi, but they do a great job of removing sand. They don't have to be backwashed very often either. If your planning on using one you have to be sure to restrict the pressure to 40 psi or simply fill a Cistern with the filtered water. Then re pressurize. That gadget you show in your picture above looks like a fancy cartridge filter to me. I'm not sure what all the extra plumbing is, but it looks nice.

bob...

Mikebarone

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The pool filters aren't rated for anything over 50 psi, but they do a great job of removing sand. They don't have to be backwashed very often either. If your planning on using one you have to be sure to restrict the pressure to 40 psi or simply fill a Cistern with the filtered water. Then re pressurize. That gadget you show in your picture above looks like a fancy cartridge filter to me. I'm not sure what all the extra plumbing is, but it looks nice.

bob...

Yeah, I found out, (after the housing on the pool cartridge base cracked) that even though on the side of the tank is says it’s rated for 50 psi, that in not a constant running pressure. I was thinking of using a pool sand filter at first, but I thought that the filter would not back flush out the added sand, (from the well pump) and after time, the tank would fill up with sand.
The bag filter, (photo) uses a filter, (similar to a vacuum cleaner filter) that is washable and re-useable. The extra plumbing consists of by-passing valves, drain valve, two gauges, (one in-coming line and one on the out going line). The two gauges are so a difference in pressure between the two gauges, can be detected, and then you can tell that the bag needs to be cleaned.

Mike

PS. Thanks for the, "looks nice".

Speedbump

Reaction score
The reason mine work so well is because we have over a thousand trees with only a 5hp pump feeding the Micro Jets. There is only 18 psi on the gauge when the system is running. It runs the Jets fine and the Filters don't mind the low pressure. The sand used to plug them up very fast. Now it's not a problem. It's been two years since I have backwashed them and we water for an hour a day four days a week to the tune of 200 gpm.

bob...

Mikebarone

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The reason mine work so well is because we have over a thousand trees with only a 5hp pump feeding the Micro Jets. There is only 18 psi on the gauge when the system is running. It runs the Jets fine and the Filters don't mind the low pressure. The sand used to plug them up very fast. Now it's not a problem. It's been two years since I have backwashed them and we water for an hour a day four days a week to the tune of 200 gpm.

bob...

WOW...that's trick...nice set up for sure!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks