Which Gas Hot Water Heater?

Users who are viewing this thread

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'd go with a Bradford White.
The FVIR is far superior to the others in reliability design...

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Flammable Vapor Ignition Resistance...

Essentially it offers protection if you were to spill a flammable liquid near the water heater the vapors could be ignited by the pilot light or, burner causing a fire to occur. FVIR has a flame arrestor which will prevent flashback and sensors which detect a flammable vapor event which shut the unit down. This protection is now required by federal law on gas water heaters.

The problem is the flame arrestor has a tendency to become clogged with dust and lint that causes a lack of combustion air and a taller flame which triggers the flammable vapor event sensor. Some FVIR water heaters have the air inlet on the bottom of the unit and a flame arrestor with a small surface area which has proven to be problematic especially for the American Water Heaters initial design of its Flame Guard and Flame Lock where they used a non-resettable thermal fuse in the thermocouple resulting in a class action and burner redesign. See the famous Whirlpool Thread Here Or, here is some more good info http://411plumb.com/troubleshooting-flame-guard-flame-lock-water-heaters

Once you get past the FVIR units that are designed like vacuum cleaners and into the ones that have the air inlet on the side near the base of the unit instead of the bottom you are essentially left with Rheem and Bradford White. Rheem has the smaller air inlet of the two and is not resettable. Leaving Bradford White as the best IMHO... http://411plumb.com/bradford-white-defender-water-heater-review

dargo

Reaction score
I still do not get the FVIR air inlet on the bottom. Again, as most posts in my past state, I have had a AO smith water tank. No issue and had another one installed. So far in 7 month the screen looks new...I will take a pix. I do not get it since I would love to know how the screens get dirty...

Plumber Jim

Reaction score
Website
www.broomfieldplumber.com
It is also possible that the T&P valve on your old heater was stuck shut and could have ended in a very serious problem at some point. Now that you have a new one the new one is working as it should and a thermal expansion problem was found.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks