Installing a storage tank and have question

Users who are viewing this thread

AlasKen

Reaction score
I have a low recovery well as verified by a local well service operator. We did a pump down and recovery test. Recover was in the neighborhood of .5 GPM. Pressure read in excess of 100 lbs at the well head. We have about about 150' of static water in casing or ~225 gal. We start running out of water at the end of the day on a high usage day. Proposed solution I would like input on is below.

I am looking to add 400 gal, 2 200 gallon tanks connected, storage to garage. This would be filled with an exisiting 3/4 HP pump set at 180'. I am looking at controlling the pump with a Cycle Stop Valve Cycle Sensor Pump Monitor (CS1PH1-2). Current pump is a 2 wire pump controlled by a 45-25 pressure switch with low pressure cutoff. I want to have 2 floats in the tank to shut off the pump when full. I am having a hard time finding the correct option for a 240V pump. I want to have one that is primary and a second one as a backup in case of a problem with the primary shutoff. Can someone recommend a good source and part to use for this? Would it be better to choke down the flow to 1 GPM in order for it to take longer pump the well down or pump it down fast and let it recovery for longer periods of time? I am guessing I have a 7 GPM pump currently but don't know for a fact. When drilled the well was rated at 4 - 6 GPM, 21 years ago. This is the first work done to it since I bought the house 20 years ago.

In the storage tank I am planning on hanging a 1/2 HP, 7 GPM, 240V submersible controlled by a second Cycle Stop Valve Cycle Sensor Pump Monitor (CS1PH1-2) feeding a pside-kick CSV (50 psi) going into an existing whole house sediment filter and water softener. Question on hanging a submersible in a storage tank. How is the best way to install it? Would it be a good idea to install a 5" PVC pipe sleeve to set the pump in? I am wondering about torque. In case anyone is wonderabout about the sumbersible vs a jet pump, main reason is noise and water pressure and volume. The ones I have seen were noisy and you could hear the pump everytime it kicked on. I am open to other thoughts if I am missing something.

Would it be better to put the sediment filter on the line filling the storage tank. It seems that would help keep the tank clean.

When the well service was looking at the pump and well they said the could drill another 220, of well but it would be an expensive holding tank as the rate for drilling is $41 a foot. His suggestion was the holding tank. He is one of the main services in the area and a long time business. He had drilled a well last week 4 houses down and went down to 400' to get .5 GPM so didn't hold a lot of hope deeper would provide more water.

I welcome thoughts and feedback to this plan, especially anything I am missing or overlooked. Help sourcing tank float switches is appreciated, even the correct name for searching. Any ideas for improvement is appreciated. Let me know if I left out any infomratin needed to respond.

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
so it started out 4-6gpm 21 yrs ago and now at .5, so are you gonna have to redrill/deepen the well anyway in a few years when the .5 goes to .05? to me it sounds like you could give them about 10k now, or install the holding tanks etc then 5 yrs later have to give them 10k (15 by then) anyway... this would be my biggest concern. knowing no more than i do about your setup or alaska wells in general, i think i would drill it deeper, if nothing else have the extra storage in the well, drop a pump to the bottom and be done. sounds like it might be one of those pay me now or pay me later things. maybe some others will have better ideas.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do they offer hydro frac service up there? We have had fantastic results in Ct, but we like to see wells that are 300' or more.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Sounds like a good plan. I would just let the 7 GPM pump run for 30 minutes to get the 225 gallons out of the well and let the Cycle Sensor shut off the pump. The only tricky part is deciding how long to set the timer on the Cycle Sensor to restart the pump. If the well recharges at 4 GPM, you need to set the Cycle Sensor for about 1 hour to restart the pump.

Here is a link to a float switch.

http://www.tanksforless.com/SJE-Pum...-1003277.htm?gclid=CL7LrqSa_7cCFVNo7AodHCcAXw

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I am looking to add 400 gal, 2 200 gallon tanks connected, storage to garage...

Why not go bigger and bury a 1000 gal tank in the ground? It would not use up space in the garage and you would not have a problem with sweating. Also it would buffer several high usage back-to-back days.

As for the well, have you looked into remediation like cleaning or fracking?

AlasKen

Reaction score
First off I want to thank all that replied with advise and questions. I will attempt to answer them here. First off I agree that drilling it deeper would be a good option if I had the $$. Unfortunately it is difficult to come up with now knowing that it might only be creating additional storage and not additional production.

The well guy and I did discuss that fracking might be an option but he hadn't had good results in that area. He couldn't say why as other areas it was effective. It may be something we try anyway when time allows.

Based on my lot makeup based on my drain field and outbuilding and the fact that most of my lot is straight up burying a larger tank is a problem. I also would need to ensure that I get it deep enough to prevent freezing in the winter.

I want to have some above ground storage available anyway in order to ensure I have water available in the case of an extended power outage. I have the ability to use wood for heating and cooking if necessary so a water supply adds to my peace of mind.

I will probably move forward with the 400 gallon storage and when I have it working I can then look at other options as I will have some backup water in order to look into other options.

Again I truly appreciate everyone to take the time to offer the suggestions and ask questions that I need to be asking myself.

Ken

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks