Has anyone seen this pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

Speedbump

Reaction score
A customer wrote me an email asking if I knew what this pump is or if I knew anything about it.

This is his email:
While driving around this past weekend in the Hill Country area of Texas I ran upon this "pump" (see attached picture) at an old school that LBJ attended. There was no information regarding this "pump" and I thought someone in your organization might have some info on it and/or what it is....?

Thanks..........

RH

LBJPump.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here is a picture of the rope pump in Haulover, Nicaragua. The water comes out the spout on the right. The rope goes back down the well in the pipe on the left. The pump is turned by someone standing on the other side. The wheel goes counterclockwise as we are looking at the picture.

Rope Pump Haulover.jpg

Raucina

Reaction score
If you gentleman are enthused about chain and bucket and rope and bucket pumps you should be aware of "de Re Metallica" written by Georgius Agricola and first published in 1556. I am fortunate enough to own the second edition from 1561, and there are many pages of etchings showing the construction of rag and chain and incredibly rod and piston pumps.

Herbert Hoover and his wife were Latin scholars that performed the first translation of this book, and their edition is from 1912. Dover has a reprint of that from the 1950's that can still be had for under a hundred dollars, and for those of you inclined toward mining and hydraulics, you will cherish every page of this huge tome.

In Dovers edition, book VI, page 198, there is an incredible etching of a ball and chain in pipe pump driven by water wheel. You will be quite humbled by how much was already known about pumps in the 14 and 1500's.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I think you guys have it. The author said he thought this thing might have used a crank of some kind which has long since been misplaced. So it may very well be like BobNH's pictures only a diffenent brand. We own Boss Pump, but if I admitted being the inventer of such a pump, I would be showing my age.

I will report back to him and send him a link to this topic and let him comment if he likes.

Yup Sammy it's supposed to be a pump. I have never installed one and I doubt you have either. That would really be showing our age.

bob...

Raucina

Reaction score
The "Gem" was a chain and bucket pump made in America until recently. Lehmans country store still sells replacement chain and buckets. They are quite an efficient method of moving water.

If the power ever goes out in america, these will be the Goulds and Grundfos's of the new system.

mmarshall

Reaction score
The "Gem" was a chain and bucket pump made in America until recently. Lehmans country store still sells replacement chain and buckets. They are quite an efficient method of moving water.

If the power ever goes out in america, these will be the Goulds and Grundfos's of the new system.

I have a pump like that .I was raised with no running water.On my street there are still 10 to 20 of them.I would like to purchase another if anyone see`s one for sale

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
One of those would look great in your showroom. I always wondered where the "Boss" came from.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
It's a Cistern Pump

What you young whipper snappers have never seen a Cistern Pump?

This is like some suspected a loop chain with small cups (buckets) on the chain that were rotated from the bottom of the Cistern to the top and dumped into a spout. This bucket pump chain was turned by a sprocket and crank at the top. These Cistern Pumps were sometimes used in shallow dug or bored wells. They worked great but sometimes the chain had to be repaired. In my youth my grandparents had one on their Cistern on their rural farm in Oklahoma.

In my travels I still see them from time to time but I doubt if they work.

Speedbump

Reaction score
One of those would look great in your showroom. I always wondered where the "Boss" came from.

Believe it or not, 25+ years ago when I was on my way to the county building to get my occupational license. I saw Boss on a sign and decided that would work.

The wife and I not wanting to use our names in the business, like Tabor Well Drilling. We tried to come up with a name that would sound good, be near the front of the phone book but not be the typical AAA or A-Astromical Well Drilling and Pump Service. We couldn't agree on anything, so on the way down there, I had to come up with a name and that was the only one that jumped out in front of me.

bob...

fduchow

Industrial Engineer
Reaction score
Finally a name for the old pump

I pumped one of those pumps when I was a kid AND I drank the water AND I lived to tell about it. But that was 35 years ago and now the pump is in dis-repair. The chain is broken and the rubber 'cups' are dissintigrated. Still looking for parts, but will check the suggestion above for Lehmans country store. My Dad would love to get the pump working again. Of course, he wants to drink the water. The rest of us just want to water the plants.

We have always struggled with how to describe the pump, but with the entries above, we have more intelligent words to use now.

styx1

Reaction score
Boss chain & bucket pump

I have a Boss pump as shown in the photo. It has 118 4" cups with 4" connectors or about 78 feet in total length. As far as I can tell the only thing missing from the original is the wooden handle on the crank. It has the patents listed on the 8oz buckets as 1902. There are other patents listed on the chain dated 1893. I am interested in selling the entire system. I can send photos if interested.

Styx1

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks