Washing Machine Drain in Kitchen

Users who are viewing this thread

detroittola

Reaction score
I'm about to test this setup by running the washing machine. Who thinks this won't work and why? What you are looking at is 9 feet of 3/4" SCH40 PVC from the washing machine drain to the 1 1/2" PVC tee and then through the p-trap and out to the main drain line.
I don't like to violate code but sometimes it's the only reasonable option.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20140125_114957.jpg
    20140125_114957.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 291

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm about to test this setup by running the washing machine. Who thinks this won't work and why? What you are looking at is 9 feet of 3/4" SCH40 PVC from the washing machine drain to the 1 1/2" PVC tee and then through the p-trap and out to the main drain line.
I don't like to violate code but sometimes it's the only reasonable option.

Thanks.

Ridiculous!! I don't know where to start on this lmao.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Needless to say you did bother to get this inspected. It is so far from legal I won't even attempt to try to offer help. I guess your theory is if it works it must be OK.

Houptee

Reaction score
What is that flex hose laying on the bottom of the cabinet hooked too? (the one with the electrical cord wrapped around it).

And why is the disposer hose barb for the dishwasher open with a hose clamp on it but no hose?

How much did you spend on the brass fittings and hose adapters tees etc to put this all together?

detroittola

Reaction score
What is that flex hose laying on the bottom of the cabinet hooked too? (the one with the electrical cord wrapped around it).

And why is the disposer hose barb for the dishwasher open with a hose clamp on it but no hose?

How much did you spend on the brass fittings and hose adapters tees etc to put this all together?

The hose you see will eventually be the dishwasher supply line. I went to install the dishwasher and realized that good ole HD sent me a used/returned unit. It actually still had water in it! I'm exchanging it for a new one.

The brass fittings cost me about $25.

detroittola

Reaction score
It may work for now.

You may want to see if a new water pump for your washing machine is available.

You may need a new one in the near future.

Good Luck.

Excellent point. I am a little worried about this so I checked and a new pump costs about $50. The drain hose from the washer is also 3/4" so I basically extended the hose and sealed the drain where it should be open to air. The convenience and laundry savings are worth a $50 pump to me if it might work.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
I went to install the dishwasher and realized that good ole HD sent me a used/returned unit. It actually still had water in it! I'm exchanging it for a new one.
Did the water have laundry detergent or dish soap in it by any chance? In addition to what we can see, it is also illegal in CA to connect a dishwasher directly to a drain or garbage disposer.

Do you want advice from some very knowledgeable and generous professionals who deal with this sort of thing every day on how to do it right given the challenges you face, or are you just trolling?

detroittola

Reaction score
Did the water have laundry detergent or dish soap in it by any chance? In addition to what we can see, it is also illegal in CA to connect a dishwasher directly to a drain or garbage disposer.

Do you want advice from some very knowledgeable and generous professionals who deal with this sort of thing every day on how to do it right given the challenges you face, or are you just trolling?

I am installing a siphon break between the dishwasher and disposal. I would love advice on how to do it properly but I don't think it's possible being that it's a condo with no hookups. If the answer is that it cannot be done according to code than I will have to take my chances as is.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I am installing a siphon break between the dishwasher and disposal. I would love advice on how to do it properly but I don't think it's possible being that it's a condo with no hookups. If the answer is that it cannot be done according to code than I will have to take my chances as is.

Most condos around here, do not let you work on anything. For insurance reasons normally.

That is what your Fee pays for, and they have a pro do the work, at your expense.

Most of the time you can run Portable units, water down a sink, but not directly connect to it.

Did you have a disposal, and replaced it, or did you add it.

Watch out for the code police.

Last edited:

Bluebinky

Reaction score
I am installing a siphon break between the dishwasher and disposal.
Good.
I would love advice on how to do it properly but I don't think it's possible being that it's a condo with no hookups. If the answer is that it cannot be done according to code than I will have to take my chances as is.
I'm not a pro, but I'll give it an initial shot.

It looks like the most difficult part is obviously the drain. It needs to be 2" and properly vented. Is there any way to get an 1 1/2 inch? vent from the washer hookup to the vent from the sink (at least 6 inches above the sink, say inside the upper cabinets?

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
If I were you I would disconnect that before it costs you big time! If the washer leaks and floods your place and possibly others YOU, not your insurance will be held liable for the damages.

Last edited:

detroittola

Reaction score
If I were you I would disconnect that before it costs you big time! If the washer leaks and floods your place and possibly others YOU, not your insurance will be held liable for the damages.

I'm on the bottom concrete floor over the parking garage. The worst case scenario that I see is a burned out drain pump which will cost me $50.

Houptee

Reaction score
Surprised its not backing up into the sink when washer pumps out since you have no standpipe for the washer.
If you plan to leave this washer hooked up illegally it would be better to put a standpipe next to the washer with its own trap and a aav at top of the standpipe, then run a horizontal pipe to a combo wye at the wall and the sink use its own trap.

detroittola

Reaction score
Good.

I'm not a pro, but I'll give it an initial shot.

It looks like the most difficult part is obviously the drain. It needs to be 2" and properly vented. Is there any way to get an 1 1/2 inch? vent from the washer hookup to the vent from the sink (at least 6 inches above the sink, say inside the upper cabinets?

I don't see any other way to do a semi-permanent install. The other side of the kitchen wall is the common area courtyard. If it fails on me, I guess I could run a temp drain to the sink for every wash. It will definitely all be returned to code normal before I move out.

detroittola

Reaction score
Most condos around here, do not let you work on anything. For insurance reasons normally.

That is what your Fee pays for, and they have a pro do the work, at your expense.

Most of the time you can run Portable units, water down a sink, but not directly connect to it.

Did you have a disposal, and replaced it, or did you add it.

Watch out for the code police.

I'm using the same old disposal. I cleaned it out real good and it still works great. I will return everything to legal before I move out. It won't take long.

detroittola

Reaction score
Surprised its not backing up into the sink when washer pumps out since you have no standpipe for the washer.
If you plan to leave this washer hooked up illegally it would be better to put a standpipe next to the washer with its own trap and a aav at top of the standpipe, then run a horizontal pipe to a combo wye at the wall and the sink use its own trap.

Clearance is a big issue. I can barely fit the 3/4" PVC in the back of the cabinets and behind the dishwasher. I wanted to run 1 1/2" but it just wouldn't fit. By running 3/4" PVC, I effectively extended the drain hose and then deleted the required air gap by sealing the drain hose to the PVC.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is not uncommon for folks to come to the forum trying to get approval for improper plumbing ideas. In spite of our advice, they will continue to argue, hoping to find someone who will agree with what they want. It just doesn't work that way.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks