Toilet won't flush.. Not clogged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Randy Strye

Reaction score
So I was taking a shower today and I heard the toilet starting to bubble. Afterward, whenever the toilet is flushed, the water won't go down and the bowl just fills more and more... then it will slowly drain down to nothing. Any following flushes result in the bowl filling then slowly draining down to nothing again.
Any ideas? Thanks in advance...
-Randy

Reach4

Reaction score
Plunge.
semco_blaster_plunger.jpg

Randy Strye

Reaction score
of course, that's the first thing i tried.. hence "not clogged"... the water will go down if i pour water into the bowl quickly... so again, it's clearly not clogged

Reach4

Reaction score
I thought you may have meant not totally clogged.

Open the tank lid. Flush. Hold the flapper open until the water drains. Do you get a good flush then?

Also, try filling a bucket or plastic waste basket with water. Hold it as high as you dare and dump the water into the bowl rapidly. Does the toilet flush vigorously?

Last edited:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
So I was taking a shower today and I heard the toilet starting to bubble. Afterward, whenever the toilet is flushed, the water won't go down and the bowl just fills more and more... then it will slowly drain down to nothing. Any following flushes result in the bowl filling then slowly draining down to nothing again.
-Randy

Seems to me the key is the toilet bubbling during the shower -- suggests to me that your main drain downstream from the toilet is at least partially blocked.

Are you on a septic system or city sewer?

Randy Strye

Reaction score
septic...
and the house is on a cement slab.. no basement, no crawlspace.. i have no idea how to access anything below the tub or toilet

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Your description of what's going on doesn't seem consistent.

For a toilet to bubble while taking a shower implies there's a main line partial obstruction. If it were total, the shower would back up. WHen you flush the toilet, it tries to dump a lot of water fast, then stops. If it goes down, as you said, the blockage is not complete. But, you still have a blockage somewhere. Since it does drain, there is at least some room in the pipes for some water to be added when you flush. If, after not draining anything or flushing, you then try to flush the toilet, if the clog is a ways away, the toilet may flush, but a second or third try within a short time may fail since what was there has not had a chance to drain away yet. How many flushes could give you an idea about how far away the clog is.

If liquids, but not solids will flush in the toilet, then that implies something caught in the trapway that is allowing the liquids to pass by, but when there are paper and solids, they get caught up on the obstruction. Common ones are a comb, pen, pencil, crayon, small toy, etc. Those probably will not be removed with a plunger...you may need either a toilet auger, or to pull the toilet and then try to remove it.

SO, sort of sounds like you have more than one problem.

Reach4

Reaction score
Had your septic tank pumped lately? You don't want to neglect that, or you could plug your leach field.

Randy Strye

Reaction score
Your description of what's going on doesn't seem consistent.

For a toilet to bubble while taking a shower implies there's a main line partial obstruction. If it were total, the shower would back up. WHen you flush the toilet, it tries to dump a lot of water fast, then stops. If it goes down, as you said, the blockage is not complete. But, you still have a blockage somewhere. Since it does drain, there is at least some room in the pipes for some water to be added when you flush. If, after not draining anything or flushing, you then try to flush the toilet, if the clog is a ways away, the toilet may flush, but a second or third try within a short time may fail since what was there has not had a chance to drain away yet. How many flushes could give you an idea about how far away the clog is.

If liquids, but not solids will flush in the toilet, then that implies something caught in the trapway that is allowing the liquids to pass by, but when there are paper and solids, they get caught up on the obstruction. Common ones are a comb, pen, pencil, crayon, small toy, etc. Those probably will not be removed with a plunger...you may need either a toilet auger, or to pull the toilet and then try to remove it.

SO, sort of sounds like you have more than one problem.

all the other drains in the house are fine. when i flush the toilet, nothing goes down and the bowl fills as if it's plugged. if i let it sit, it slowly drains down to nothing. if i take a large bucket and pour water directly into the center of the bowl, it will go down for the most part.
so it's only the toilet that's giving me trouble

Had your septic tank pumped lately? You don't want to neglect that, or you could plug your leach field.
define "lately".. i've lived here between 3 and 4 years and i haven't done it yet.. not sure about before i lived here

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The toilet bubbling is saying something else!

But, you have the classic symptoms of some object caught in the trapway that will allow liquids to pass, but slows them considerably when toilet paper and waste try to get by. A plunger will NOT (usually, anyway) resolve that. You need something to either break it up, or catch it and pull it out. IF a toilet auger doesn't do it, you may need to remove the toilet and go from that end.

Randy Strye

Reaction score
The toilet bubbling is saying something else!

But, you have the classic symptoms of some object caught in the trapway that will allow liquids to pass, but slows them considerably when toilet paper and waste try to get by. A plunger will NOT (usually, anyway) resolve that. You need something to either break it up, or catch it and pull it out. IF a toilet auger doesn't do it, you may need to remove the toilet and go from that end.

i will see what i can figure out on that..
the only other strange thing i've noticed is that when i plunge the toilet, you can hear it in the bathroom sink and water kind of sprays out of the drain..

thank you for your input

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
i will see what i can figure out on that..
the only other strange thing i've noticed is that when i plunge the toilet, you can hear it in the bathroom sink and water kind of sprays out of the drain..

thank you for your input

Again sounds to me like something blocked downstream.

Reach4

Reaction score
all the other drains in the house are fine. when i flush the toilet, nothing goes down and the bowl fills as if it's plugged. if i let it sit, it slowly drains down to nothing. if i take a large bucket and pour water directly into the center of the bowl, it will go down for the most part.
so it's only the toilet that's giving me trouble
"for the most part" Normal would be to go down fast, though it might leave the bowl low.

define "lately".. i've lived here between 3 and 4 years and i haven't done it yet.. not sure about before i lived here

3 or 4 years is pretty typical to need pumping, but that varies according to your usage. Figure about $200 depending on local variations. It is good to do this well before there are any symptoms. Consider asking your neighbors for a recommendation. I think the independent owner operator tends to be the better choice. Ask him for advice too.

I agree this problem is probably not related to a full septic, but I really would get the cleanout anyway.

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
"for the most part" Normal would be to go down fast, though it might leave the bowl low.

3 or 4 years is pretty typical to need pumping, but that varies according to your usage. Figure about $200 depending on local variations. It is good to do this well before there are any symptoms. Consider asking your neighbors for a recommendation. I think the independent owner operator tends to be the better choice. Ask him for advice too.

I agree this problem is probably not related to a full septic, but I really would get the cleanout anyway.

Or find a truly reputable septic company to come and pull the lid off your tank and see what's in there. If the county came out to test it, they would stick a device in that would measure the depth of sludge in the bottom, the depth of cleanish water in the center of the "sandwich" of schmutz (sludge on the bottom, scum on the top), and the depth of the scum layer. When the middle layer is narrower than optimal (or the sludge is above optimal), time for a pump. They will also measure on the "cleaner-ish" side of the baffle, where the cleanish-water flows. There will be a small amount of sludge on the bottom of that side, and there should be no scum. If the scum layer is deep enough that it's flowing across the baffle, then that's another reason to pump.

If they are honest, they will tell you the truth. If they are not, the worst they will do is tell you to pump it. If it's properly-sized for your residence, pumping after three or four years is a good practice. We do ours annually-ish, because our City will pay for one pumping a year. We would probably do it every two years otherwise. Having been through the process of replacing the old (50-years-plus) septic system, we want to prolong the longevity of this new one by treating it right, as we did the old one.

PS One thing that I have seen in our area about independent owner-operators and septic system service is that some regional or national companies buy them up, and then leave the name on the trucks. Kind of like what has happened with funeral homes. You think you're dealing with some relative of Frank DiGrazzi Sewer Service (or Joseph Callahan Funeral Home) that still owns the 50-year-old local family business, but you're not. Word of mouth, recommendations from a trusted plumber or septic contractor (there are some folks that build them but don't service them) or Angie's List might be a place to start.

Last edited:

Jeremy6

Engineer
Reaction score
I am having the same problem. My house and septic are just over a year old. We started having bubbling last night in the toilet closest to the septic tank. Now we have two toilets that won't drain and aren't clogged and we're afraid to test the third and final toilet.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do you have a conventional septic system or some type of alternative system? Is there a pump? How about an outlet filter device? Any heavy trucks run over the system recently?
The system could be too deep of under sized. Has it been raining a lot? Have you been running a lot of water? Taking in the neighbors laundry? Things like a water softener can help to flood it out. Maybe the toilet has been running. Are there leaky faucets? Really big tub baths etc etc.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I am having the same problem. My house and septic are just over a year old. We started having bubbling last night in the toilet closest to the septic tank. Now we have two toilets that won't drain and aren't clogged and we're afraid to test the third and final toilet.
Get your septic tank pumped by an experienced guy. Ask what he found in the process. From that gauge how long to wait next time.

Yes, you might "waste" some money. But even if you were not needing it for a couple more years, the info will be useful. In that case, expect there is a clog before the septic. If it turns out that you did need pumping already, getting the unit pumped now could save big money.

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
-Randy
I had that exact problem recently and it turned out to be blockage in the main drain line outside of the house. The confusing thing was that only that one toilet was affected. I would never have suspected the main line until the washing machine drain in the basement backed up. It's the lowest and last drain exit point inside the house. The main line was cleared and everything now works as it should.

Jeremy6

Engineer
Reaction score
Do you have a conventional septic system or some type of alternative system? Is there a pump? How about an outlet filter device? Any heavy trucks run over the system recently?
The system could be too deep of under sized. Has it been raining a lot? Have you been running a lot of water? Taking in the neighbors laundry? Things like a water softener can help to flood it out. Maybe the toilet has been running. Are there leaky faucets? Really big tub baths etc etc.
To the best of my knowledge, it is a conventional system, no pump, no heavy vehicles. I have 3 runs of 60-ft for a 3 bathroom house (single story) with two adults and a toddler. No toys or feminine products have been flushed. Drain field depth is ~4-5-ft in sandy Tampa soils (no mound all below grade). No excessive usage or rain. No water softener or leaks (new house). Not sure about an "outlet filter device" on our tank... can you elaborate?

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Florida requires an effluent filter. You would access it inside the tank on the outlet end. I would not think the flow would stop completely but it could slow things down if there is a lot of grease or solids in the tank. .....4-5 foot is kind of deep. You could dig a test hole in that area of the yard to see if the seasonal water table is up.....I would dig up the septic tank and see if the water level is up above the outlet. If that is the case, clean the filter and see if that is the problem. if not the problem is in the distribution box or in the drain-field. You did not plant wisteria close to the drain-lines did you?

An outlet filter has been required in Fl since November 2008

Florida ONSITE SEWAGE TREATMENT AND DISPOSAL SYSTEMS
http://www.floridahealth.gov/enviro...ewage/forms-publications/_documents/64e-6.pdf

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks