Tub faucet knobs

Users who are viewing this thread

Big-B

Reaction score
new guy here. I ran into a problem with my upstairs hall bath. I need the replace the cartridges for the hot and cold spickets in my tub. They are leaking from under the knobs. The problem is, I can not get the screw out of the center of the handle on the cold side. I can get it out of the hot side, but then can't get the handle off. The house was built in 74 and we've lived here for 15 years. I'm an auto mechanic by trade, so I can figure out things non related but not sure how to proceed to fix this problem. Trying at all cost to do this w/o the expense of a plumber.

Thanks for any help you can offer
Bernie

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The hardware stores will carry handle pullers. Once you get the screw out, that will do the rest.
You may be able to tighten the bonnet nuts, but more likely, you will need to remove the stems and match them up with new ones. Pick up a seat wrench, and replace the seats at the same time.

Big-B

Reaction score
The hardware stores will carry handle pullers. Once you get the screw out, that will do the rest.
You may be able to tighten the bonnet nuts, but more likely, you will need to remove the stems and match them up with new ones. Pick up a seat wrench, and replace the seats at the same time.
Thanks Terry, any suggestion on how to get the seized up screw out? Is a special tool needed to get the cartridge out as well and are there different size cartridges? Can you tell me what the seats are and why a tool is needed. I figured the cartridges was a complete unit and everything needed would be included. As you can see, I'm no plumber. :(

Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Once you pulled the stem out, look inside with a flashlight and you'll see a round stainless steel thing with a square hole in the middle. That's the seat (when you turn off the water, the stem washer compresses against the seat and stops the water). To get it out, you'll need a seat removing wrench - an L shape wrench with different size heads, one of which will fit your seat. Take the seats and the stems to the plumber's shop, get the exact parts and install in reverse order.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are literally thousands of different stems (assuming you have a stem verses a cartridge, but there are lots of different cartridges, too). Neither cartridges nor stems nor handles and trim are generic. IF they made a lot of one item, someone may make an aftermarket replacement, but sometimes, you can get OEM versions from the manufacturer.

Big-B

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone, but I really need to know how to get out the seized screw. Can I use heat on it? I'm worried by doing so, I may end up breaking the head of the screw off, which I guess at that point would be a help as long as I was still able to get the handle off. Suggestions?

Last edited:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you are going to replace the stem you can drill the screw out. If you are going to replace the stem, it doesn’t matter if it gets damaged. If you want to get the screw out without Damaging the stem then use an easy out. Just drill a small hole in the screw and stick the easy out in the small bore hole in the screw. The easy out/screw extractor will remove the screw.
http://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools---Hardware/N-5yc1vZc1xy/Ntt-easy%20out?NCNI-5

http://www.irwin.com/tools/screw-bolt-extractors/spiral-extractor-drill-bit-537-series-combo-packs

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks