Weil McLane boiler keeps shutting off, pressure too high

Users who are viewing this thread

Jralphc

Reaction score
We bought a very old house that has 30 yr. old Weil McLane boiler for steam heat. Recently we have had an issue with the boiler shutting off because the pressure is too high. If I open the drain valve and let water out of the boiler until the system starts adding water back in to the boiler it will come back on and the pressure will start to drop back to normal. But eventually this will happen again; sometimes it will operate fine for a week or more and other times it will turn off again shortly after it re-started - it is definitely an intermittent problem. What could cause this to happen?

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
The pig tail from the boiler or low water cutoff to the pressurtrol is plugged with crap. You need to remove the pressuretrol and clean it out. I assume you are blowing down the low water cutoff at least twice a month also.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
We bought a very old house that has 30 yr. old Weil McLane boiler for steam heat. Recently we have had an issue with the boiler shutting off because the pressure is too high. If I open the drain valve and let water out of the boiler until the system starts adding water back in to the boiler it will come back on and the pressure will start to drop back to normal. But eventually this will happen again; sometimes it will operate fine for a week or more and other times it will turn off again shortly after it re-started - it is definitely an intermittent problem. What could cause this to happen?

disclaimer: I am not a boiler expert. That being said, it sounds like a possible aquastat (temperature control) or part of the water pressure, water level controller. You did not mention what the water temperature or other gauges might be indicating.
In any case, Boilers can be very dangerous, so get an expert there to diagnose and fix it, is my best and sincere advice.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
disclaimer: I am not a boiler expert. That being said, it sounds like a possible aquastat (temperature control) or part of the water pressure, water level controller. You did not mention what the water temperature or other gauges might be indicating.
In any case, Boilers can be very dangerous, so get an expert there to diagnose and fix it, is my best and sincere advice.

Its a steam system. The water temperature is 212 all the time it is making heat. If its making hot water it would have a low limit aquastat on it that would maintain about 160 degrees but it would not cause his issue. Water level is controlled either manually or with an automatic water feeder like a McDonald Miller 101 that feeds water when the low water cutoff float drops. His issue is with the pressure-trol, most likely a honeywel Pa404A and more specifically with the pig tail tube that connects it to the boiler.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Its a steam system. The water temperature is 212 all the time it is making heat. If its making hot water it would have a low limit aquastat on it that would maintain about 160 degrees but it would not cause his issue. Water level is controlled either manually or with an automatic water feeder like a McDonald Miller 101 that feeds water when the low water cutoff float drops. His issue is with the pressure-trol, most likely a honeywel Pa404A and more specifically with the pig tail tube that connects it to the boiler.
OK, I said I was not an expert:), and I never worked on a steam boiler. Is that pigtail a homeowner maintenance item, or should a boiler tech service it?:confused:

hboogz

Reaction score

Removing that pigtail just requires a few turns from a channel-lock and a rag, so as to not bend/scratch the pipe ? The pigtail tube on my WM boiler is smooth, so curious if you would have to open up the side panel to get access to a threaded connection?

hboogz

Reaction score

I'm not a boiler expert either. But when you find that your boiler shuts off, are you seeing the sight glass filled with water ? I had a similar issue happen a few weeks ago and decided to change both the low-water cutoff (probe type) and automatic water feeder (both mcdonnel miller) and haven't had an issue since (Although, I'd very much like to clean out the pigtail referenced in my post above)

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Removing that pigtail just requires a few turns from a channel-lock and a rag, so as to not bend/scratch the pipe ? The pigtail tube on my WM boiler is smooth, so curious if you would have to open up the side panel to get access to a threaded connection?

They are 1/4" npt so you can usually back them off by hand.

Jralphc

Reaction score
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and expertise. I've made an appointment for next Monday to have this taken care of, it is doing it more frequently now. It's great to have some idea about what the problem might be.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks