Gator bite and tub shower problems

Users who are viewing this thread

weasels2

Reaction score
Over the weekend, I changed my daughters shower/faucet hardware as we put in a new tub and surround. It was a moen brand and everything went well. I used gator bites and found no leaks, but after completing the job, we turned on the water and found that when set on tub fill, not only did water come out of the tub faucet, it also came out of the shower head. I called moen's help line and was told that if I had used a gator bite-EL on my downspout to the faucet, that was the most likely reason for the problem. Has anyone else had this problem and could there be other reasons for the water coming out of the shower head even though the diverter had not been flipped? Thank you.

moen-tub-spout-install.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
Over the weekend, I changed my daughters shower/faucet hardware as we put in a new tub and surround. It was a moen brand and everything went well. I used gator bites and found no leaks, but after completing the job, we turned on the water and found that when set on tub fill, not only did water come out of the tub faucet, it also came out of the shower head. I called moen's help line and was told that if I had used a gator bite-L on my downspout to the faucet, that was the most likely reason for the problem. Has anyone else had this problem and could there be other reasons for the water coming out of the shower head even though the diverter had not been flipped? Thank you.

What pipe did you use, if its PEX then that's the problem as the id restricts the flow and will cause this. I would never use a "gator" or shark bite for the tub spout but I don't see that as being the reason for this.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If there is "any" restriction on the tub spout piping, it will force water up to the shower head.
It needs to be unrestricted copper, galvanized or brass.

CPVC or PEX won't work.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF you used PEX, or did not remove the "stiffener" inside the fitting if you used copper, that is the problem. Unless, are you sure you did not put the valve in upside down?

weasels2

Reaction score
Thanks to all that responded. I did not remove the "stiffener" and did use 1/2 inch copper. I do know the valve is in the proper position. I am going to remove the gator bite and sweat a 1/2 inch copper elbow and hopefully that will take care of my problem. Thanks again

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
ON the Sharkbite, the internal stiffener is designed and intended to be removed if using it on copper...I'm assuming that's true with the Gatorbite fitting as well. The easiest thing would be to remove that and see if it solves the problem, and if not, then solder on a fitting. Now, most pros would never have used the press-on fitting in the first place, but that's a different story.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks