Trying to keep a water heater replacement from turning into a disaster.

Users who are viewing this thread

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; it was surprising the amount of customers that wanted to take it up in Trade.

I have been in the business for over 60 years and have NEVER had any customers who wanted to do that. I think the plumbers who said it happened to them are just trying to "puff themselves up".

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
It might normally be, but with a whole day's worth of shenanigans, they scared me off, and I figure their time offset my time that they wasted, plus not getting it done yesterday, like they originally promised they could. I wouldn't have them back here, after all that went on yesterday.

Oh, and these guys all have "free estimates" anyway, with no trip charges.

The "free estimate" was given and accepted when they were sent by you to pick up a tank. I'm not saying that they were or were not qualified but to me it sounds like they were given the go ahead from you then you changed your mind. If thats the case then you should be charged for their time.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I just went round & round with them for 20 minutes, through all kinds of extensions and was finally told they don't work on weekends!

Huh. Where I am, that's a dedicated water heater number. You just select option 3 (new order), and then while they are transferring you they mention that they "guarantee" same-day installation of their most popular models if you order by noon. The sales associate that answers after that should immediately be able to hook you up (perhaps only for Monday, of course). I'm surprised that they didn't try to take your order today for installation first thing tomorrow.

Last edited:

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
So I of course don't know about Denver, but if I had to do it all over again, I would call Sears at 1-800-549-7853 which is their number for same-day water heater installation.

I'd love to save about $800 or more on this, but they have ads on their website saying: Order by noon and get it installed TODAY! Call 1-800-549-7853.
and when I actually call, the recording says the same thing, then I get told they don't do this on weekends, and they transfer me all over the place trying to get me to Sales. I did this from about 11 AM today until 11:45 and again just now. They transferred me from department to department and no one speaks English, so I can't understand them and they can't understand me. I just called the number above and they transferred me to:

800-469-4663
877-800-5804
888-287-9322
800-877-6420
telling me each number as they do, and no one can help, they just keep transferring me!

I haven't had a shower since Thursday night, and am totally disgusted now! We can't afford to pay a rooter company $1800 for a water heater and Sears doesn't keep their word about same day help, and transfers me all over the world without helping me!

I'm gonna go cry now, because I just don't know what the hell else to do anymore! I can't take this!!!

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
My first question is why would you call a Rooter co. to replace a water heater. Why not call a local plumber.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Actually, I had just intended to suggest that someone might be able to take your order now for the work to be done tomorrow. Perhaps the same-day service can only be scheduled on the weekdays on which it is apparently only offered.

I think that if you can make it through another night (or even just go to family, friends or a motel to take a shower and maybe put you in a better state of mind), you will likely be quite pleased when you give Sears a ring in the a.m.

Hope your problem is solved tomorrow and you feel better.

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here's the details from the Sears website...

Call center business hours:Monday-Friday 6 AM-10 PM CST, Saturday 7 AM-7 PM CST, Sunday 8 AM-7 PM CST. Picture must be a jpeg or pdf. Same-day installation available for stock on hand and not in all markets. Excludes weekends and holidays. See store for details.

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
Actually, I had just intended to suggest that someone might be able to take your order now for the work to be done tomorrow. Perhaps the same-day service can only be scheduled on the weekdays on which it is apparently only offered.

I think that if you can make it through another night (or even just go to family, friends or a motel to take a shower and maybe put you in a better state of mind), you will likely be quite pleased when you give Sears a ring in the a.m.

Hope your problem is solved tomorrow and you feel better.

Thanks, but we have no local family or friends, just the two of us living here. I even thought of a bath house, if they'd sell me a shower, but suspect that they're for other things. I've never been to one.

Melissa2007B

Reaction score

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
My friend from Denver likes Bell plumbing and heating.

He must be rich then - they're known for being absolute retail top price - the kind of company that the rich call when money is no object. Someone said this would cost me $2800 if I went to them.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Cool. So I hope you have a good phone and installation experience tomorrow, and you are in hot water heaven by evening.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Concerned about Melissa's experience, I tried calling Sears myself today just to see how my experience would be. Figured that their call-routing system may send the weekend calls to the Philippine call center but maybe it was set up differently during business hours -- just like my doctor's office is.

Sure enough. I selected option "3", and within seconds was speaking to a knowledgeable, enthusiastic American water-heater-sales dude who was ready to hook me up if I needed same-day installation.

In order to avoid the kind of disappointment that Melissa experienced, they probably should make it clearer that the same-day service is Monday through Friday, but it is heartening to know that the service does exist and is readily-available without being "transferred all over the place" when you call during normal business hours.

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
Cool. So I hope you have a good phone and installation experience tomorrow, and you are in hot water heaven by evening.

Yeah, the only time in my life that I've wished for days, that I could be in hot water! :D

anyway, we got right through this AM and it should wind up costing us a hair over $1000 ( maybe $1020 ) with tax and all. They will be calling within 2 hrs to tell us when, but it will be installed today! YAY!!!

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
This is now officially a NIGHTMARE!!

The Sears plumber came over and said that because this is a modular ( UBC ) home on a foundation, we have a sealed combustion water heater and they can't get one! I'm freaking out!

The model we have is a Rheem 21140DV.

Update: Actually found out it's a 21i40DV.

Turns out that I had to contact the dealer who sold us the modular home, and they put us in touch with only ONE guy here in town, who has these water heaters, and it will cost a fortune and he can't do it till tomorrow late.

Shoot me....

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
This is now officially a NIGHTMARE!!

The Sears plumber came over and said that because this is a modular ( UBC ) home on a foundation, we have a sealed combustion water heater and they can't get one! I'm freaking out!

The model we have is a Rheem 21140DV.

At least someone was honest with you, unlike your rooter guys.

The replacement for that model seems to be the Rheem Warrior 21VR40DV. http://www.rheem.com/product/residential-gas-water-heaters-warrior-direct-vent

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes back to what I posted earlier you need to contact someone that doe's work on mobile home call some of the mobile home parks in your area and see who they use to replace water heaters ?

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
At least someone was honest with you, unlike your rooter guys.

The replacement for that model seems to be the Rheem Warrior 21VR40DV. http://www.rheem.com/product/residential-gas-water-heaters-warrior-direct-vent

I guess I was updating my post right when you replied.

Update: Actually found out it's a 21i40DV.

Turns out that I had to contact the dealer who sold us the modular home, and they put us in touch with only ONE guy here in town, who has these water heaters, and it will cost a fortune and he can't do it till tomorrow late.

Shoot me....

But what I found out today is that it's called a "cumbustion air" or "sealed combustion" water heater, only one guy in town who does mobile/modular work, has them, other wise they gotta be ordered ( 2 weeks! ) and this guy is gonna get $1700 installed for it!

Shoot me....

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
So the DV stands for "direct vent", I understand.

Macplumb: Is the "direct vent" aspect why she can't use this one? (sears mobile home water heater)

http://www.sears.com/kenmore-40-gal...4233694000P?prdNo=24&blockNo=24&blockType=G24

This one is certainly widely available in Sears stores and for delivery in Denver.

Melissa -- only other maybe dumb suggestion. If it were I, I would call sears back and say, Hey, this is the one we have, Rheem whatever, and do they have a comparable one? Ask if they have a direct vent mobile home water heater? Just the only other thought.

Did the Sears plumber say HE didn't have a same-day water heater for you? Or that Sears didn't make/sell a comparable one?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks