Well with sand and red clay

Users who are viewing this thread

Timbuktu

Reaction score
I have a 380 ft well here in the southern Kalifornia desert.
Ive had it for the last 11 years and would like to address some irritating issues ive had all these years.
Now that i put in a DIY drip system(pvc with adj emitters form HD) , the sand( actually a little larger than sand as its decomposed granite),so its more of a coarse sand that occ clogs up emitters enough to reduce the flow significantly.

Im thinking of a couple systems for this.
1-a large inline screen or wire mesh canister.
2- a similar filter but bifurcated downward so as to allow the sand to lose enough velocity to fall out of the main water flow and into the trap. id have to do a trial and error on the size of trap-amt of sand so im not having to empty it every day.

Im not sure yet just how much sand travels through the pipes.
Inside and at the top of this water tank is the final well water discharge "flange". It has a threaded female opening. Im thinkin a large threaded canister to insert there.....but.
it'd have to be able to take 15 gpm . Im also concerned about the leverage placed from the extra weight on the threaded female flange as there is no support structure inside the tank for anything extended in this way.
The constant vibration and weight that accumulates from water and sand would likely be too much for it.
The red clay?Ill post that question later
Any solutions,ideas comments?

Last edited:

Timbuktu

Reaction score
i just called their HDQ in fresno and spoke to one of their "engineers" about filtering the sand and the fine clay.
Price is $560 to start. Extras if needed raise the price as expected.
At that starting price,I can live with the sand and clay im afraid.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
just use a bank of 1 micron whole house filters before the drips and a spin out filter before it all. Cheap.

Also there is only ONE good dripper and it has a flag type stem that pulls right out and blows the crud off the screw type 'water go slow' device. All the rest are trash.

Timbuktu

Reaction score
For sand you could use a wire mesh strainer. For clay or silt fines a a filter cartridge would be best.
You could do it yourself for under $250.00 and have a great system.

http://www.waterfilters.net/20-BB-15-Wholehouse-Water-Filter-System.html#

http://www.vacmotion-filtration.com/index.html

For now heres what i did. i got window screen and placed it over the inlet port of the 2200 gal tank. That may stop some of it. boy was it hard getting out of that tank when its full of water (74" deep). sure felt good when its over 100 here.
Swimming in my drinking water!....Actually , the drinking water goes through R/O

Last edited:

HomeRanchFilters

Reaction score
For now heres what i did. i got window screen and placed it over the inlet port of the 2200 gal tank. That may stop some of it. boy was it hard getting out of that tank when its full of water (74" deep). sure felt good when its over 100 here.
Swimming in my drinking water!....Actually , the drinking water goes through R/O

I hope that you can find this site useful if you are still having problems.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks