Normal Softner Servicing?

Users who are viewing this thread

sixgun95

Reaction score
All new to me - When do you add salt? How much do you add? Installer told me but just want to make sure I understood correctly.

Had my new softner put in based on recommendations here, unit & installer - couldn't be happier!

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Any water softener salt will work fine, solar crystal and pellet salts are usually fairly clean. Mined rock salt can be a little dirtier and may require regular cleaning of the brine tank.

A regular household of 2 in your area should use approximately a 1/2 to a full bag of salt per month. Simply keep the brine tank full of salt and you are good to go. You should try to maintain the salt above the water level, but on modern timed refill systems, it is not a problem if the salt level gets below the water level accidentaly.

Congrats on the new system! You will enjoy it.

sixgun95

Reaction score
What were you told?

And what salt did he say you should use?

When you see water coming level with salt to add. The container is about half full now and I can start seeing the water, seems early to ad salt but what do I know!

I dont recall exactly what salt he said but its large pellets, I can look tonight. What do you recommend?

sixgun95

Reaction score
Any water softener salt will work fine, solar crystal and pellet salts are usually fairly clean. Mined rock salt can be a little dirtier and may require regular cleaning of the brine tank.

A regular household of 2 in your area should use approximately a 1/2 to a full bag of salt per month. Simply keep the brine tank full of salt and you are good to go. You should try to maintain the salt above the water level, but on modern timed refill systems, it is not a problem if the salt level gets below the water level accidentaly.

Congrats on the new system! You will enjoy it.

DITTOHEAD - You recommended the guy I used here in Scottsdale - awesome dude and excellent install!

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Thanks, he is an old friend from 25 years ago when I started in this industry. He has worked for 3 of the major distribution houses in the US, and he was the technical support lead for 2 of them for many years. Be sure to refer him to your friends, he has a daughter to put through college. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks