Creative diverter use

Users who are viewing this thread

AnnR

Reaction score
I am replacing my mother's tub with a shower. She had a tub spout with a shower diverter, which I have removed. I already purchased a new fixture with a shower only to replace it.

Now, I would like to leave a faucet in the shower for her to use for cleaning, filling the occasional bucket, etc, since there is no utility sink in the house.

Is there some way I can put a regular faucet on the ex-diverter stub, or even a spray handle, that would not have a diverter in it, but a regular valve that could be turned off? Something that can be turned off 99% of the time when she is using the shower, but can be used occasionally as a faucet? Or must I put in another diverter faucet?

Alternatively, if I can't do this, will the shower work properly if I just cap off the diverter stub?

Thanks

AnnR

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I am replacing my mother's tub with a shower. She had a tub spout with a shower diverter, which I have removed. I already purchased a new fixture with a shower only to replace it.

Now, I would like to leave a faucet in the shower for her to use for cleaning, filling the occasional bucket, etc, since there is no utility sink in the house.

Is there some way I can put a regular faucet on the ex-diverter stub, or even a spray handle, that would not have a diverter in it, but a regular valve that could be turned off? Something that can be turned off 99% of the time when she is using the shower, but can be used occasionally as a faucet? Or must I put in another diverter faucet?

Alternatively, if I can't do this, will the shower work properly if I just cap off the diverter stub?

Thanks

AnnR

It might be possible from the new shower fixture to tee off with two lines. Send one to the old tub filler location and change that to a spray wand on a hose. This will make cleaning easier maybe. You can buy extra gismos that connect the hose to the handheld and use a 1/4 turn ball valve. She could alway leave this in the off location. If you bought a second she could install this between the shower arm and shower head.

A bit of a pain but if it is only used rarely it should work.

Might be easier to find a new shower fixture that can control two locations.

Hope this helped some.

JW

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Your question is somewhat confusing, because if your valve is REALLY for a shower only, it will not have provision for a diverter spout. But that being aside, my preference is to ALWAYS install a diverter spout in a shower. Place it low enough, i.e. about 18" above the floor, to make it convenient to operate. This way, when you turn on the water, you are not hit in the face with a blast of cold water, and when the temperature is correct, THEN you pull the diverter to send the water to the shower head.

AnnR

Reaction score
John -

I have not taken the lines out from the old shower with diverter. I am trying to re-use whatever I can for the new shower and whatever other solution I come up with for the lower faucet stub. Must I re-plumb if I don't want to use a diverter here?

hj -

I thought the whole diverter function was controlled in the diverter fixture itself, whether in the tub faucet, or as a separate fixture. Making the shower fixture pretty much just passive - it either receives water ir it does not, depending on what the diverter sends its way. Is that not so?

And I appreciate your comment about always providing the diverter - yes, after I bought the shower fixture I came to that same question myself - how to get water in the shower without having it rain down on my head from the shower. That's why I figured I wanted to add the lower faucet.

Thanks

AnnR

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are various ways to divert the water in a tub/shower or even in a shower with multiple functions. Depending on what you're trying to do, it could be the valve that does it, or in many modern ones, it's done with a tub spout with a built-in diverter. On most, the path to the showerhead and the tub spout are both open. But, because there's less restriction in the tub spout and it's lower, the water all flows out there. But, if you pull the diverter in the tub spout, it blocks that path off, and then the water flows out the showerhead.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
...I thought the whole diverter function was controlled in the diverter fixture itself, whether in the tub faucet, or as a separate fixture. Making the shower fixture pretty much just passive - it either receives water ir it does not, depending on what the diverter sends its way. Is that not so? ...

Many fixtures can control multiple fixtures. We have installed some that have three way options as well. It depends on the unit you purchased. What is the model number of your fixture and brand? Perhaps it can as simple as to which way you move the handle. Do you have just a single lever on your trim or is there two?

This is a shower kit from Hans Grohe. Opposite the control wall is a bench with a handheld. My client in Coal Harbour Vancouver can choose;

1). Shower Head Only
2). Hand Spray Only
3). Both

The temperature is controlled with the handle lever and the Zone (1,2 or 3) is controlled by the cap. The round end moves as well allowing the user to select which option is best. This is a great shower if both you and your partner share the shower at the same time or if you just like to stay really warm!

Last edited by a moderator:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
IMHO installing a tub spout with popup diverter in a shower is just an accident waiting to happen. One, you might hit your leg on it and two, bending over to pull up the diverter could cause a fall.

Some folk will put in something called a toe tester down low, the flow to which is controlled by a valve set at a reasonable height.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; One, you might hit your leg on it and two, bending over to pull up the diverter could cause a fall. Some folk will put in something called a toe tester down low.

This IS a "toe tester" which is why it is installed at about 18" above the floor.
I have NOT, nor has anyone in the family, hit my leg on it for over 55 years, and the diverter is at a height where it is VERY accessible without "falling". If you cannot operate it and use it safely, maybe you should not be showering by yourself.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
This IS a "toe tester" which is why it is installed at about 18" above the floor.

Can't argue that but I'm still entitled to my opinion. By the nature of how it is operated, one generally still gets hit with a little bit of cold water on the back of the head cuz you're bent over reaching for it. I hate popup diverters, even on a tub shower. Even if it were not a safety hazard, IMHO it looks out of place to have a huge tub spout sticking out.

They do make special toe testers but the ones I've seen are not all that practical. Some of them offer only a small trickle of water, too little to fill a bucket. Others sit so close to the wall that you can't get a bucket under it. I think a wall union with something covering the threads makes for a practical toe tester. It provides adequate flow and sticks out just far enough to get the lip of a bucket under yet it doesn't stick way out like a tub spout. Of course, it would require a separate diverter valve.

AnnR

Reaction score
Thank you for all of your comments.

The fixture I have also has a cross shaped diverter to connect a handheld sprayer, so I will use the diverter on the lower (old tub filler) supply, instead of at the shower head, and the shower head where it should be.

The only real issue I now have is that there is no on/off handle in the new set, so I will have to reuse the old one. But it should work. I may put a hook or something higher up on the wall to hook the handheld sprayer on.

Thank you

AnnR

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks