BMI not measured correct by doctors

Users who are viewing this thread

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
BMI should not just be measured by your Weight and Height.
It should also include Width.

If you are Wider than you are tall,
You may want to have your doctor check your BMI.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It may overestimate body fat in athletes and others who have a muscular build.
My BMI says I'm overweight at 205
My normal BMI should be between 140 and 189
This is what 155 looks like
attachment.php

So I could be 15 pounds lighter then this and be considered normal?
I'm kind of liking 205 right now. The chart says that at 227.5 I would be obese.
The picture below is at 205
oahu_10_04.gif

DonL

Reaction score
Looks good to me.

If You can float in water then that could be a good thing.

I have to tread water, while the fat lady floats.

It must be nice to float around in the water.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
When I was younger, I could let the air out and lay on my back in the bottom of the pool.
I didn't have a real high speed swimming because my legs wouldn't get up on a plane.
When I got older, I was able to glide better in water. That was a plus.

DonL

Reaction score
When I was younger, I could let the air out and lay on my back in the bottom of the pool.
I didn't have a real high speed swimming because my legs wouldn't get up on a plane.
When I got older, I was able to glide better in water. That was a plus.

I bet that got the Life Guards attention.

Ops , You were the Life Guard.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Salt water helps with the floating. Most people can float if they dont panic first. People get caught in rip currents all the time and try to swim out of them.,...which is impossible if its strong enough.

I cant tell you how many times I have heard this story.

"Family vacationing from up north are at the beach and the kids are swimming......the kids start yellling for help and the father goes in to save the kids. The kids make it out of the water but the father doesn't and there is a search team looking for the body."

DonL

Reaction score
Salt water helps with the floating. Most people can float if they dont panic first. People get caught in rip currents all the time and try to swim out of them.,...which is impossible if its strong enough.

I cant tell you how many times I have heard this story.

"Family vacationing from up north are at the beach and the kids are swimming......the kids start yellling for help and the father goes in to save the kids. The kids make it out of the water but the father doesn't and there is a search team looking for the body."

Can You say "Go with the flow"

Works every time.

I love to body surf in Galveston, but the water is dirty now a days.

Cookie

Reaction score
One, I do not have any belief in the BMI index, I think, someone had too much time on their hands inventing that. Secondly, people have asked me how I weathered so much in my life, and, they say, " I guess, it was either sink or swim eh?" Truth? Nah, neither, I told them, I naturally, float very well.

DonL

Reaction score
One, I do not have any belief in the BMI index, I think, someone had too much time on their hands inventing that. Secondly, people have asked me how I weathered so much in my life, and, they say, " I guess, it was either sink or swim eh?" Truth? Nah, neither, I told them, I naturally, float very well.

You are blessed Cookie.

I sink, but I can hold my breath.

Cookie

Reaction score
I would never drown. :)
Does anyone else think that Terry looks like a young Mel Gibson on the picture where he weighed 155?

Last edited:

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
BMI is a very crude but easy measurement to take. The ranges given for BMI labels are only the 1-sigma boundaries of the bell curve, with plenty of overlap with adjacent categories.

Standard_deviation_diagram.svg

So, for only ~68% of the people in any BMI category would the label actually apply, and about 1 out of 3 people in any particular BMI bin would be more appropriately described by an adjacent category when assessed by other means.

Hard-body athletes that fall into an "obese" BMI are 3 or 4-sigma phenomenon- don't kid yourself into thinking that's YOU, unless you have very significant training regimen.

So, the BMI is what it is- a quick-screen, but has never been used as a hard definitions. It's very useful for assessing the relative health of populations, and it doesn't require much training to take those measurements. If the average BMI of a school or city is in the obese range it doesn't mean everybody in that population who hits the BMI definition is actually obese, but 2 out of 3 would be. From a public health & policy perspective it's a pretty good quickly measured indicator of the general health of the population relative to obesity related issues like diabetes, high blood pressure, coronary artery disease, etc. For individuals falling outside of normal or healthy-weight BMI range only means it's a good idea to consider why that is in your case. And simply falling into that normal or healthy range per BMI definitions isn't a guarantee that it's an optimum weight for YOU either, but for 2 out of 3 people it would mean it's close.

Doctors tend to measure and interpret BMI correctly, even if others don't.

Cookie

Reaction score
I am having coffee with my personal doctor right now, lol, and he said, " if you can squeeze an inch on the belly, you need to take off a few pounds" and, " if you can't get your fingers to fit to do it, or if you got "love handles" you already, know the score and no one really needs to tell you." I asked him if he always goes around squeezing people and he said, only me, lol. Hope this helps :) Happy Easter to everyone by the way. Eat eggs instead of chocolate. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks