Slab leak in the kitchen - help!

Users who are viewing this thread

coyle

Reaction score
there was a poster on here a year ago who said he had contacted a plumber to fix leaks in his slab. they tore everything up, twice, before he contacted a company that will rip everything up, re-pipe and put everything back. Does anyone have any suggestions of who to contact for this?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I am not aware of any recommendation to "rip everything up"

If you have a slab leak, it can be found, and a local repair can be made. The demolition can be modest, although the location will make a difference.

If it is suspected that there are widespread or pending problems with the pipes in the slab, the recommendation is often to abandon the piping altogether and repipe overhead and in the walls. Plenty of companies in the yellow pages who do this,

coyle

Reaction score
Thanks Jimbo. I guess the wording of "rip everything up" was incorrect.

As you are in San Diego and deal with this sort of thing frequently in southern California, in your expertise have you found the soil here to be problematic in terms of eroding piping? The house is in Lake Elsinore.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
To fix a single leak, you homeowner's insurance will usually cover the "finding, ripping up and putting it back", (and not the actual pipe repair), but NOT for a complete repipe.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The problems in San Diego area often involve improper installation....intrusion by rocks, etc. or contact with concrete. Although there are various opinons, I think direct contact with cement is not good, and I have seen more than one leak right where a branch came up out of the cement slap or footing in the garage, and was not sleeved or the sleeve was damaged.

In general, wholesale replacement of underslab copper had not been an huge issue across the town.

JerryR

Reaction score
To fix a single leak, you homeowner's insurance will usually cover the "finding, ripping up and putting it back", (and not the actual pipe repair), but NOT for a complete repipe.

I had a slab leak a few years ago. State Farm paid to find the leak and bypass that run by re-Piping through the attic. They also paid to fix any water damage caused by the leak.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks