I Don't Understand Why The Brits Think the "Crown Jewels" are such a BIG DEAL

Users who are viewing this thread

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The problem Ian, is that you are more American than most Americans and won't admit it. Americans grumble greatly about their taxes, try to get them reduced to as little as possible, and then pay them, complaining all the while.

Your solution is to reduce your taxes to our level and then hold up Great Britain's entitlement system (which you refuse to pay for) as an example for us to follow. The concept of honor comes into play because some people find hypocrisy in your solution.

Perhaps the reason the Queen always looks so grumpy is because her subjects are taking advantage of her.

Ouch! That's painful! But.... You hit the nail on the head!

7378b494.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence.

Just like the public workers in Wisconsin protesting for their right to collectively bargain.

I'm impressed. I didn't think Americans had it in them.

Honor restored!

The problem Ian, is that you are more American than most Americans and won't admit it.
Nope. I still struggle with the idea of an independent Republic here. Are you really sure this is not still a British colony?

Your solution is to reduce your taxes to our level and then hold up Great Britain's entitlement system (which you refuse to pay for) as an example for us to follow.
Nope. The rich pay more in taxes. No Bush tax cuts for them. And guess what happens when the rich do pay more in tax? Nothing much. Rich Americans aren't going to move if you make them pay a little more here either. They'll just save less. Which doesn't do anyone any harm. But more fools for you for listening to their BS.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
London tops world cities spending league: study

Looks like you guys got the money to spend, you people must be rich.

LONDON (Reuters) - London beat Tokyo, New York and Paris to be the highest grossing city for retail sales in 2010, according to a study of 22 major worldwide shopping destinations by Britain's Center for Retail Research.

The study, commissioned by online shopping comparison website Kelkoo, found London generated 64.2 billion pounds ($103 billion) of non-food retail sales last year.

"The key to London's success appears to be the quality and quantity of shops on offer, combined with the revenue generated by the huge volume of tourists that passes through," said Kelkoo marketing director Chris Simpson.

London's 26,000 stores house 138 of the world's 250 leading retail brands, compared with an average of 90 across the cities surveyed. It attracts around 14.1 million overseas tourists, some 4 million more than its nearest rival.

London was also the top city for internet shopping, with 9.9 billion pounds of sales last year.

Tokyo was a close second in the overall standings, with total non-food retail sales of 61.4 billion pounds, ahead of New York on 47 billion and Paris on 46.6 billion.

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Just goes to show.

Just because you pay a little bit more in taxes, don't mean you can't live a better life.

All those well-educated kids with access to universal health care get good jobs you see.

And that means shopping.

Give a little more. Get a little more.

America would be good to remember that.

Cookie

Reaction score
Hey, I may look stupid but I aint... yeah, they get good paying jobs here, in the USA and, then, spend the money back there! Try again Ian.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
The sad reality of America is that a lot of people here do not get good wages.

In England, no-one needs to work two jobs.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
The "public servants" in Wisconsin can always be found parked behind a coffee shop for their 3 and 4 hours lunches.

My brother the city pipes inspector puts on about 3 actual hours of work each day. Free health care too.

I have to own a million dollars of equipment, draw until midnight, and suffer a billion bites of stress each week. 1300 bucks a month for health care of virtually no value.

$5000 deductible.

Fire all the Wisconsin public parasites and put in some that need to work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks