gap in seal of kitchen faucet faceplate

Users who are viewing this thread

asenk

Reaction score
Hi,
I just noticed I have a gap between the kitchen faucet faceplate and the sink top. There does seem to be a black seal around it the whole base of faceplate. So the gap is just between under the rubber seal and sink top. It seems the sink isn't really level at that part for some reason. So when using it (like washing dishes and whatever), and water would go to that area, it would just seep in under and into the cabinet space below. I noticed because the bottom was wet. But I really noticed the gap when there were ants crawling through it. What would be the best way to fix this gap? Take the faceplate out and put some plumbers putty and put it back?

Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
What is the sink made of? Stainless steel? If the sink is bent, then about all you can do is caulk the space, since there may be no way to "clamp" the faucet to the sink in the center.

asenk

Reaction score
It is a cast iron sink. The faucet is Glacier Bay.

Here is a picture. You can see on the left side there is a noticeable gap and the sink surface starts to curve down.

IMAGE_115.jpg

jay_wat

Plumber
Reaction score
id use the putty around the sink holes,,,,and when the faucet is re-installed,,id use some clear dap around the base of the faucet. is that a 1 hole sink or 3 hole?? looks like it wasnt made for faucets with such a large base.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You have a defective sink. The problem with using anything under the faucet other than the rubber seal is that the "trim" piece is just a thin piece of metal where it contacts the sink, so there is really no "surface" to seal against putty or anything else. All you can do is cauld around the outside to seal the faucet to the sink. You will have the same problem with any faucet, except one that uses a single center hole to mount the faucet and the "trim plate" would then have its own seals at the other two holes.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Hard to tell without a better overall picture. If this is a regular kitchen sink, that is a defect. It almost looks like a depression designed in to hold a bar of soap, meaning you put in the wrong faucet. How about a wider angle photo?

asenk

Reaction score
I think you are right. The sink wasn't designed for a faucet with a face plate over it. There is the indentation on both sides.

Yes, the sink is a three hole.

The previous owner installed this faucet. So I guess i should replace it eventually. Any recommendations?

Here is the overall picture of the sink.

IMAGE_118.jpg

Last edited:

asenk

Reaction score
If I were to replace the faucet, should I not buy a faucet with a plate deck anymore?

Even if my sink is defective, i dont plan on replacing it anytime soon. Seems like the tiles would need to be removed around the sink for this to happen.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you lay a straightedge along the valve, is the sink flat, or is the faucet? How many holes are in the sink? You might be able to use a single hole faucet...then, no plate. Even if there are extra holes, you could use them for other things like a soap dispenser. Depends on how many. If you have a disoposer, you could use one of them for an air switch.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks