Darn Jacuzzi toilet!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

merryem

Reaction score
Water will not stay in the bowl. I've...replaced the guts, replaced the metal water intake with a flex hose( I read one person's issues with jacuzzi and read that unless the intake pipe was properly positioned water wouldn't stay, no luck for me.) Tried the water into the bowl trick and watched the level fall so it isn't designer preset and rechecked my refill tube in the overflow just for the H of it. No luck. I even dropped in a leakfinder tablet and was unsurprised that nothing showed up in the bowl, after all. that seems to be the problem ;] What's left? Short of developing the skills of a bombadier, what else can I try?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A leaking bowl is a defective bowl. Now, if you really meant the tank, that could be the flapper, the bolt holes, the flapper seat, or siphoning if the hose to the overflow is not attached using a clip (if it is shoved down the tube, it can siphon - it needs to be anchored above the tube). the bowl could be leaking down the drain and you wouldn't see it as a leak on the floor.

merryem

Reaction score
There is No water leak on the floor, the water is draining down the pipe. After flushing, water fills to an invisible line and then (within 1 minute) slowly seeps away until there is only water at the bottom. The hose and clip attaching to the overflow is 1/2 inch above the top of the pipe, i couldn't get it higher without crimping the hose.

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
To clarify, you are talking about the water in the bowl (not the tank) filling to a normal level and then dropping back down after the flush, correct?

If this is the case, the bowl is probably defective and water is being lost somewhere. Since it is not coming out on the floor, it could be soaking through the subfloor (under the toilet). I don't know what is below this, but if this was on a 2nd floor or above a basement, you would see water. The other possibility that I can think of is a defect between the bowl and the trap is allowing water to escape out of the bowl and down the drain (doesn't seem likely).

merryem

Reaction score
I have a crawl space and if the heat index wasn't at 110, I would check it for signs of water leaks right now. This place was reconditioned and they put in a ceramic tile floor inthe BRM, there could be something happening at the subfloor level...
Truthfully, I never understood what kept the water from EVER seeping out in other toilets.

merryem

Reaction score
Sorry, reread your first sentence. Yes. This is water in the bowl Not The tank or the water intake or any of the connections.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you look at the trapway, you will notice that there is a high point in the bend.
This is the dam.
Water dosn't get higher then that. No matter how much water you put in the bowl, the water will go over the dam and drain away.

If you plug the outlet, then you can over fill the bowl. But that's only with a plugged trap or main line.

briggs_1.jpg

merryem

Reaction score
Could I have a partial blockage at the bottom of bend that has raised the dam so that there is continual flow? (Does that sentence make sense? I feel like I should continue it with... "that goes in the house that Jack built. :])

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Could I have a partial blockage at the bottom of bend that has raised the dam so that there is continual flow? (Does that sentence make sense? I feel like I should continue it with... "that goes in the house that Jack built. :])

A toilet bowl is sort of like a teapot...it only leaks out the spout if you tip it or overfill it. As Terry mentioned, you can get it to wick out some water (slowly) if there's something like dental floss caught hanging over the edge (don't flush dental floss!). Other than that, if the bowl leaks, it's defective or damaged.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks