Wet venting shower through the lavatory - look okay?

Users who are viewing this thread

mjsmith0

Reaction score
I think I figured out how wet venting works, but thought I should check with the pros first. Does the wet vented portion look proper? (The sink trap will be higher and the shower drain will be a little farther away.) I sketched in where the water closet drain connects to the drain stack just in case that makes a difference.
drains..jpg

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
No, the Y should be inverted. The wet vent should come off the branch of the Y. And the weir of the shower drain trap should be at least 18" away from the wet vent connection.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Functionally, it is okay. But you are creating a very serpentine drain with all those elbows. SIMPLIFY it by going in a more direct path to the lavatory.

mjsmith0

Reaction score
Functionally, it is okay. But you are creating a very serpentine drain with all those elbows. SIMPLIFY it by going in a more direct path to the lavatory.

Thanks for the advice. I will try to simplify, but this seems to be about as direct as I can get. The vertical drain is around the corner, and other side of the wall from the sink is a stairwell leading downstairs, so I can't cut across that corner. I mocked up how the framing around the stairwell to give an idea what I am up against.
pipes3..jpg

mjsmith0

Reaction score
No, the Y should be inverted. The wet vent should come off the branch of the Y. And the weir of the shower drain trap should be at least 18" away from the wet vent connection.
Thanks Krow. I wonder if that is the right way to go under UPC? I know that is says that vents my connect above the centerline of the drain, but I'm not sure that applies to wet vents or not. In the appendix there is a description of battery vents that require that the connection be horizontal. Darned if you, darned if you don't it seems!:eek:
"905.2 Where vents connect to a horizontal drainage pipe, each vent pipe shall have its invert taken off above the drainage centerline of such pipe downstream of the trap served."
"L 6.1.1 - A maximum of eight (8) floor-outlet water closets, showers, bathtubs, or floor drains connected in battery on a horizontal branch drain shall be permitted to be battery-vented. The drain from each fixture being battery~vented shall connect horizontally to the horizontal wet-vented drain branch. The horizontal wet-vented branch drain shall be considered as a vent extending from the downstream fixture drain connection to the most upstream fixture connection."

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
The drain from each fixture being battery~vented shall connect horizontally to the horizontal wet-vented drain branch
The wet vent part needs to be on the branch, not the line

Attachments

• untitled..JPG
    untitled..JPG
    10.6 KB · Views: 4,691

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The "wet vent" can be ANY configuration, as long as the sink is "washing" the horizontal pipe. What is that short piece of 2x doing? IF it can be thrown away, then just install a combo pointing directly to the lavatory and connect the shower to the end of it, even if THAT requires additional elbows. There are several better ways of doing it than what you have configured.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks