Replace 1 gas WH with 2 gas WHs ?

Users who are viewing this thread

akm

Reaction score
You cannot do the venting like that. At a MIN that second appliance (the most downstream one) must enter the common vent through a wye fitting.
Thanks for the comments.
The dwg is supposed to show the 4in WH vent is entering at the 5x5x4-Y fitting which is 'downwind' from the 5in FAU vent.
Is that not like what you are saying ?
BTW, a friend of mine suggest maybe we should first check out the low temp t-stat in case it is not working and not turning on the WH when the water temp reaches the low point.
Does that have any merit with the existing B-W WH ?
I think you had mentioned in an earlier thread that the 1994mfr/1996install should merit a new WH.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Thanks for the comments.
The dwg is supposed to show the 4in WH vent is entering at the 5x5x4-Y fitting which is 'downwind' from the 5in FAU vent.
BTW, a friend of mine suggest maybe we should first check out the low temp t-stat in case it is not working and not turning on the WH when the water temp reaches the low point.
I think you had mentioned in an earlier thread that the 1994mfr/1996install should merit a new WH.

Thanks for the comments.

Thanks for the comments.

Oh ok yes that is ok if you are using a wye fitting!

However if possible this would be your best bet for venting:

doherty-01.jpg

You always want the lowest input appliance to connect to the venting system last. The blue thing at the bottom of the vent would be an inspection point (usually a plug in the bottom of a T).

Last edited by a moderator:

akm

Reaction score
Oh ok yes that is ok if you are using a wye fitting! You always want the lowest input appliance to connect to the venting system last. The blue thing at the bottom of the vent would be an inspection point (usually a plug in the bottom of a T).
DPH
Thank you for the followup.
Sorry about the dwg confusion.
Y looks more like a T :(
Thanks for the comments.
Any thoughts on the other question (above) about 'repair' of existing WH, b4 we make the leap ?

akm

Reaction score
It would be my opinion to replace the tank.
Thanks for the confirmation.
Pretty much agree with your sight-unseen opinion.
Phoned our local plumbing supply and they suggested could check dip tube, and if that needs replacing, it might be worth it ($12-$13), but if not that, then should probably replace WH.
Guess will take a look at the dip tube, and if bad, maybe replace and see what happens.
Make sense ?
Any suggestions/warnings about checking/replacing dip tube (besides make sure turn off the water, as suggested by the plumbing supply person) ?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heaters

The "fire up" time for the second heater is immaterial, because it only becomes a factor when the first one is being depleted, and then it fires at EXACTLY the same time/temperature it would have if it were the only heater. In the mean time the first heater has been operating for a substantial time period heating and preheating the water into the second heater, keeping it offline for a longer period of time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks