Threadless coupling for galvanized pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Brother

Reaction score
Do they make a threadless coupling for galvanized pipe?? I had a situation where we had to cut the pipe, but no threads. and it would be WHOLE lot easier to just couple it on there, without haveing to go all the way back to the thread. This is in concrete by way.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

They make them, but I would NEVER use one if it is going to covered with concrete, if it is a water pipe. Drain lines have a few threadless options.

dlh

plumbing consultant
Reaction score
you might be able to use a brass compression coupling but i would not install it under concrete.

why not just make new threads on the pipe? i do that when the customer doesnt want the cost of a complete new line. you should be able to rent a die and handle

Brother

Reaction score
this is not a drain, its for a water supply line, that would be under water pressure. Now about not threading it again, this is in concrete we had to jack hammer out. Theres not much room to thread unless wwe jack hammer more. Thats a alot, and I want to avoid that if I can, and just repair it there.

Last edited:

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
There are "dresser couplings" make specifically for pressure pipe and It can be used underground.

Google "dresser coupling", I know they are available in Canada, but not very sure where it might be available in the US

Its like an oversized compression coupling using rubber rings instead of brass rings

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
There are "dresser couplings" make specifically for pressure pipe and It can be used underground.

Google "dresser coupling", I know they are available in Canada, but not very sure where it might be available in the US

Its like an oversized compression coupling using rubber rings instead of brass rings

Heh I opened this thread just to bring up these couplings! I have used them before I would have no trouble using them again in a pinch.

As long as you can make a good seal on the old pipe you'll be just fine.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Do not use the ones sold at the big box stores...they will rust out in a year or so...they sell dresser couplings at supply houses that meet code requirements...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks