cycle times for my fleck 5600se

Users who are viewing this thread

dunkinidaho

Reaction score
I've searched the site for an answer but couldn't find one so I'm posting it. I have a Fleck 5600SE V2 single backwash softener with a single tank. I've never felt that I have the "right" times set for each of the 4 cycles. I realize there is probably no right time as each situation is different. The cycle I'm most concerned with is the brine rinse as the time available runs from 2-60mins. There is only my wife and I here and we don't use a great deal of water. Currently I have the recycle use set for 1250gal. I have the cycle times set now for: 10min backwash------10min brine rinse---------10min rapid rinse-----and 6min brine refill. I have found that with a longer refill time the float shuts off the water. I see there is a relationship between the brine rinse time, refill time and water level in the brine tank. Anyone have any thoughts on this.

thanks,

brian in mich

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I've never felt that I have the "right" times set for each of the 4 cycles. The cycle I'm most concerned with is the brine rinse as the time available runs from 2-60mins. Currently I have the recycle use set for 1250gal. I have the cycle times set now for: 10min backwash------10min brine rinse---------10min rapid rinse-----and 6min brine refill. I have found that with a longer refill time the float shuts off the water. I see there is a relationship between the brine rinse time, refill time and water level in the brine tank. Anyone have any thoughts on this.

Visit http://www.qualitywaterassociates.com/softeners/sizingchart.htm to learn how to come up with the gallons on your meter - minus one days' gallons for your reserve.

The Brine/Slow Rinse cycle sucks the salt water out of the salt tank. It should suck all the water it can in the first 10-20 minutes and then, the slow rinse continues so it can flush the resin in brine water and the brine water out of the tank, for like 30-40 minutes. So 60 minutes, but it depends on the size of the softener, based on the volume and type of resin and, the lbs of salt used per regeneration.

Refill puts the water over into the salt tank to dissolve 3 lbs of salt per gallon, and it is flow controlled at usually .5 gpm or 1.5 lbs per minute.

Then Final Rinse, it depends again on the volume of resin etc.. Whoever sold you the unit should have set this stuff or told you how to and you shouldn't fool with the settings.

So... what size softener or cuft of resin? How hard is the water and how much iron and manganese (if you know)?

dunkinidaho

Reaction score
Visit http://www.qualitywaterassociates.com/softeners/sizingchart.htm to learn how to come up with the gallons on your meter - minus one days' gallons for your reserve.

The Brine/Slow Rinse cycle sucks the salt water out of the salt tank. It should suck all the water it can in the first 10-20 minutes and then, the slow rinse continues so it can flush the resin in brine water and the brine water out of the tank, for like 30-40 minutes. So 60 minutes, but it depends on the size of the softener, based on the volume and type of resin and, the lbs of salt used per regeneration.

Refill puts the water over into the salt tank to dissolve 3 lbs of salt per gallon, and it is flow controlled at usually .5 gpm or 1.5 lbs per minute.

Then Final Rinse, it depends again on the volume of resin etc.. Whoever sold you the unit should have set this stuff or told you how to and you shouldn't fool with the settings.

So... what size softener or cuft of resin? How hard is the water and how much iron and manganese (if you know)?

Gary,

Let me get this info together and I'll get back to you. The online supplier was glad to sell but not much on the help.

brian

dunkinidaho

Reaction score

Gary,

Here is the info I've found regarding my system. My resin tank is 40,000gr. with a Fleck 5600SE valve. I bought the "upgraded" resin. I have a "BIG BLUE" pre-filter right off the well. The filters, when I change them out each month, are mostly black with very little orange. I've had other homes where the filters are all orange with iron but this well seems to have little iron. The manganese tested at undetectable and the hardness at 34. The actual number on the test sheet was 340000. Bacteria and coliform is 0 so I'm not sure where the black is coming from on the filters. Anyway, my question isn't about the black filters it's about the time settings on the Fleck valve. I've used the calculations from qualitywaterassociates to come up with a gal between regeneration of 1060gal. Is this enough info?

dunkinidaho

Reaction score
IMO you should not have a prefilter.

A 1.25' softener uses a 10x40 or 10x44".

You'll have to start at the beginning of the formula and show me the math that you used to come up with 1060 gallons.

I use the pre-filter to cut down on the rust staining on the house from the sprinkler system, it works.

The formula is 40,000gr. X 90 divided by 34 = 1060

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
I use the pre-filter to cut down on the rust staining on the house from the sprinkler system, it works.

The formula is 40,000gr. X 90 divided by 34 = 1060

When I do the above computation I get an answer of 105,882--not 1060. I think the formula or values must be printed incorrectly.

dunkinidaho

Reaction score
When I do the above computation I get an answer of 105,882--not 1060. I think the formula or values must be printed incorrectly.

In the Fleck manual it says to take the grains of the resin tank (40,000) and multiply by 90. That gives a 10% reserve. The result is 36,000 which is then divided by the hardness (34). The result is 1060. This can be proved by multiplying 34 X 1060 which gives 36,000. The 105,882 needs a decimal point between the two 8's.

TedL

Reaction score
In the Fleck manual it says to take the grains of the resin tank (40,000) and multiply by 90. That gives a 10% reserve. The result is 36,000 which is then divided by the hardness (34). The result is 1060. This can be proved by multiplying 34 X 1060 which gives 36,000. The 105,882 needs a decimal point between the two 8's.

The 90 in the formula is 90% (to allow for a 10% reserve), so the decimal to be punched into the calculator is .9 (point nine). If 90 was used by mistake, fix it by marking off two decimal places, as noted above.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks