Basic wax-ring question

Users who are viewing this thread

brad_j

Reaction score
Having been to Home Depot last night, there are a plethora of wax rings:

- your basic standard wax ring.
- the oversized wax ring.
- the reinforced wax ring with some plastic actually in the wax.
- the waxless wax ring.
- the extended wax ring.

The guy at home depot said to get the oversized reinforced wax ring because it is designed for flanges that are installed properly AND for flanges that are a bit low (1/4" to 1").

Any thoughts?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
On a properly installed closet flange I use a regular wax ring.

Infact I rarely use anything else, seeing as in the case of an improperly installed closet flange I usually make corrective measures to the flange...

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Avoid those with the funnel...they tend to cause more problems than they create. If you don't get things perfectly aligned, you can end up with that funnel collapsing and giving you all sorts of grief. If the flange is low, best to raise it or use flange extenders, but a lot of people have success with a thicker ring.

Tanker

Reaction score
I've been using the one with the funnel for years thinking that it's the better one. What kind of problems does the funnel cause? So after adding a ceramic tile floor just a regular or thick wax ring without the funnel is the best bet?

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
The funnel causes a restriction,use the thick wax or as Mr Ratz said sta put
putty,used them both and they work fine,but with sta put you have form
the ring your self.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think you must understand that when we say the wax rings with funnels cause problems, it should not be take that every use will create a problem. The real point is, you don't get any benefit from one, but you do get a potential for a problem. We sometimes tend to overstate things.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tanker

Reaction score
I don't see the thick rings without the funnel in local stores by me, can it be pulled or cut out? Maybe a supply house would carry them.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on the diameter of the drain pipe and how well you center the toilet on the flange, you could cause the funnel to compress or distort and actually close up. If you install the toilet properly with the wax, and your flange is where it should be, it will last until you decide to replace the toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks