Home Depot or supply house ???

Users who are viewing this thread

10"rough

Reaction score
Hey Plumbers out there , Quick question. Is a American Standard Cadat 3 bought at Home Depot the same as one bought from a Plumbing supply house ?

I've heard some yes and some no.

Thanks !

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yea it's the same junk everywhere...
Not sure if the quality is good anywhere...
I install Toto!

10"rough

Reaction score
Yea it's the same junk everywhere...
Not sure if the quality is good anywhere...
I install Toto!

I was set on a Toto Drake , did some checking and I need a 10"rough... could move joist and make it a 12" but not worth it for this house . To bad no 10" Drake.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's your choice. Spend a little time and effort one time now to change the rough-in so you can use a Drake, or spend a little time and effort frequently forever dealing with the AS problems.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
:D Can always count on Redwood for my morning chuckle. Like hot coffee in the morning.

What I need to know is if I ever made you laugh so hard that you choked on the coffee and sprayed the monitor with coffee???

That is the effect I'm trying for!:D

laugh-1.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

10"rough

Reaction score
It's your choice. Spend a little time and effort one time now to change the rough-in so you can use a Drake, or spend a little time and effort frequently forever dealing with the AS problems.

I'll take my chances with the AS rather than dealing with floor joist in the way preventing 12".... Besides this is last room to be remodeled in 1942 built home and I'll probably sell sooner than later. Toto Drakes in next one....

leon wieler

Reaction score
10 inch rough in

I installed a drake in a 11 inch rough in with the back wall sloped considerably toward the toilet. I installed the tank as far to the front of the bowl as possible(the tank bolts are smaller than the hole in the porcelain), angled the flange bolts toward the front as much as allowed, and shimmed the back up one eighth with waterproof wedges. I Tightened the bolts down a little so the bowl would not move and Then I continued shimming the entire toilet right to the front. Finish tightening the bolts and A thin layer of silicone at the bottom and you would never know. The tank clears the wall but barely. I suppose you could add even bigger shims to the back to make more clearance but you still want to make it look like an adult was at work - a huge angle on the toilet makes you look bad even though it might work. If you are concerned about unequal loading on the base you could set the bowl into a mortar mix

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks