DWV for new bathroom questions

Users who are viewing this thread

dlink

Reaction score
I am building a brand new bathroom and had a questions regarding the DWV runs. As shown in the pic I have a double sink on one side of the bathroom and a whirlpool tub and seperate shower on the opposite side. I am woundering if I can run a 2" horizontal drain between both fixture and connect all the fixtures to it. The 2" line would then connect into a vertical 3" main drain.
Note the shower would be plumbed with 2", the double sinks 1 1/2 and tie into 1 drain via a 4 way tee with a vertical line going up for the vent and a line going down to connect into the 2" line between all fixtures. The tub would be plumbed 1 1/2.

Please refer to pic

Or does the shower, whirlpool tub and sinks need to connect into the 3" main drain by means of their own run into a wye on the 3' line?

Attachments

• bathroom plumbing.jpg
    bathroom plumbing.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 852

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drawing

I know which way the drawing shows. Rather than try to give a direction, I am saying everything "below" the horizontal line is incorrect, and it will still be after you install it in the ground or wherever it goes. AND you cannot use the "4 way" tee for the sinks either. There is a specific fitting for that purpose.

dlink

Reaction score
I know which way the drawing shows. Rather than try to give a direction, I am saying everything "below" the horizontal line is incorrect, and it will still be after you install it in the ground or wherever it goes. AND you cannot use the "4 way" tee for the sinks either. There is a specific fitting for that purpose.

What do you mean by "everything "below" the horizontal line is incorrect, and it will still be after you install it in the ground or wherever it goes"

and for the sink what is this special fitting required

thank you

The double lav needs a 2.0"x1.5"x1.5x1.5 double fixture fitting.
You can't combine two lavs into a 1.5 riser. It needs to be 2"

lav_rough_double_b.jpg

Attachments

• bathroom3.jpg
    bathroom3.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 779
  • bathroom4.jpg
    bathroom4.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 793
Last edited by a moderator:

dlink

Reaction score
What do you mean by "everything "below" the horizontal line is incorrect, and it will still be after you install it in the ground or wherever it goes"

and for the sink what is this special fitting required

thank you

any comments on this this would be appreciated

C NUMB

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.ericsmithplumbing.com
Excuse the freehand drawing, hope this helps

esplumbing-378252-albums-misc-shots-pic24379-02-22-2009-09-09-17am.jpg

I would keep the main waste line 3" but thats my opinion, 2" would work also, but you are getting close to the maximum allowed fixtures units on a 2" There is a saying down in my neck of the woods that you cannot dump a 2" over a 2" so thats why we run 3", and I know someone will chime in and say the tub and lavs are 1 1/2" but that is not how they look it at, just an fyi if you are ever down my way.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drains

Now that you have a picture, in this area at least, the piping to the right, i.e., to the shower and tub would not pass without additional venting. The proper fitting is a "back to back fixture fitting", and it also needs/should have a cleanout tee in the vertical pipe beneath it. Plumbing codes are a "minimum requirement" and are not always the BEST installation although it may be an adequate one.

dlink

Reaction score
in the atached pic the area's with read circles, since the 3" main and lines from each ficture are running horizontal do I use a or a say 3x3x2 sanitory tee?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 767

dlink

Reaction score
first of all thank you for your help.

and yes I understand that I need to vent the tub and shower seperatly. In my picture it showes the tub and where the shower will be and it shows the drain lines with p traps running from to let say the 3" horizontal drain as suggested. Where or how would I ven this 2 fixtures. I have a wall to the left of the shower and tub.

thank you

Attachments

• DSCN9929.jpg
    DSCN9929.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 834

C NUMB

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.ericsmithplumbing.com
in the atached pic the area's with read circles, since the 3" main and lines from each ficture are running horizontal do I use a or a say 3x3x2 sanitory tee?

3"x2" combo (wye and 1/8 bend)

The one vent is enough and it is how its done here in the southeast, but I know that a lot of places make you vent individually.

Last edited:

dlink

Reaction score
again thank you for the help....

and yes I understand that I need to vent the tub and shower seperatly. In my picture it showes the tub and where the shower will be and it shows the drain lines with p traps running from to let say the 3" horizontal drain as suggested. Where or how would I vent these 2 fixtures. I have a wall to the left of the shower and tub.

thank you

Attachments

• DSCN9929.jpg
    DSCN9929.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 771

dlink

Reaction score
anyone have any suggestions on how to runn the drains for the shower and tub as shown in the pic in my prevoius post. I have drawn out the drain line runs.

thanks

dlink

Reaction score
I appreciate your assistance. But yes I need the tub and shower to each have their own vent when they leave and of course they can connect together once in the attic.

Also as I have shown in the of above, how do I vent each fixture when it comes to the tub and shower I understand that they cannot travel horizontal until they have ran at least 6" verticaly above the fixture which it is venting, I think that correct??

Last edited:

dlink

Reaction score
I think that will work, I will check it out and let you know. And again I really apprecite the help.

PS I take it this will pass code?

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Worried about code and already have the walls tore open and pipe ran¿ lol More appropriate question should be will your work pass inspection. Hope those pipes are dry fit as it seems there is a lack of primer... :rolleyes:

dlink

Reaction score
Worried about code and already have the walls tore open and pipe ran¿ lol More appropriate question should be will your work pass inspection. Hope those pipes are dry fit as it seems there is a lack of primer... :rolleyes:

yes dry fit right now

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks